Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you help me with the pronunciation of the word SAD in this recording

I couldn't live without my laptop. Isn't that sad?

1)what do you think the word SAD has been pronounced as in the recording?SAD or something?

(To my ears it seems to be a SAN or SANG there).

2)is the pronunciation correct and natural?Or is it normal or merely an occasional slip of the tongue?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's not the best pronunciation of "sad". To my ear, it sounds almost like "sand". It may also be due to the recording quality.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
With two people hearing sad or sand, I thought I'd better try again.

It's more like san. My initial impression was influenced by context and the written form.

CSHY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
With two people hearing sad or sand, I thought I'd better try again.

It's more like san. My initial impression was influenced by context and the written form.
I had I intended to offer only links to the recording so that people could find what they heard themselves , but then I was worried that my post might be deleted (*). And the earlier answers might be still affecting people who follow.

(* At OE, another English Learning Forum, people's posts are being frequently deleted by the moderators. The reasons for deleting are weird, or made up at will. Two people from UK and US, who I followed, are permanently banned because they called the moderators Nazis. It's sad.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I had intended to offer only links to the recording so that people could find what they heard themselves, but then I was worried that my post might be deleted (*).
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I will say:
1- We do not delete posts (including recordings) at will.
2- We do ask for source links and/or citations. This is because it helps us provide a better answer, and we also must comply with copyright laws.

And the earlier answers might be still affect subsequent one. ing people who follow.
I think that's what you mean.
(* At OE, another English Learning Forum,
What is the full name of that forum?
Two people from UK and US, who I followed, are permanently banned because they called the moderators Nazis. It's sad.
Please note that on this forum, we also do not allow personal attacks. If anyone calls any other member (not just moderators or administrators) a Nazi (or something like that), they certainly risk a ban. Civility is a must here.

CSHY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the full name of that forum?
Than you for the explanation and correction.

I hope the answering as below to your question will make no troubles for anybody.

I asked the same question in a
similar way at a subforum, Only Engish, of another. And the post was deleteted soon. "Reason: Do not ask other forum members to listen to an audio clip and tell you what is being said. That is not the type of question we discuss in this forum. "

CSHY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That is not the type of question we discuss in this forum. "
Frequetly, if there appears a single word in another languagre in your post at that subforum (but not in others), even transcribed with Roman alphabet, and detected by some moderators, the post is deleted. Reason: only English is allowed. But comparison is well known to be efficient in language learning and teaching.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I asked the same question in a similar way at a subforum, Only English, of another no full stop here and the post was deleteted deleted soon after. "Reason: Do not ask other forum members to listen to an audio clip and tell you what is being said. That is not the type of question we discuss in this forum. "
That's their policy. It's not our policy. We're prepared to listen to short clips and help learners transcribe them, but the majority of the questions on this forum are text-based.
(I don't understand the part I've underlined above.)

Frequently, if there appears a single word in another languagre language appears in your post at that subforum (but not in others), even transcribed with using the Roman alphabet, and detected by some moderators, the post is deleted. Reason: only English is allowed. But comparison is well known to be efficient in language learning and teaching.
To be fair, if that sub-forum is called "Only English", it makes sense that foreign language words shouldn't be used. It's similar here. We have an "Other Languages" sub-forum.

You said that "Only English" is the name of the sub-forum you're using. We still want to know the name of the main forum. If you're going to quote from them (as you have done already), we need to know the source.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
is it not sad?

CSHY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(I don't understand the part I've underlined above.)
By "another (forum)" there I meant the parent/super- forum of the sub-forum (the former happens to be the main forum (here) ). "Another" there does'n seem to be a good expression.

If you're going to quote from them (as you have done already), we need to know the source.
Screenshot_20230120_200939.png
To be fair, if that sub-forum is called "Only English", it makes sense that foreign language words shouldn't be used.
Sometimes when a post contained words in other languages and was deleted by a modelator, he/she might tell you to post that kind of post to "English-Chinese translate" or other subforums of the main forum, but I have never found thouse sub-forums. What's more, we were not asking for trandlation, but explanations of some other problems.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am locking this thread. The original question has been long forgotten.

We are not here to discuss the policies of other forums.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that we don't need to discuss the policies of other forums. However, @CSHY needs to know that the answer we were looking for (when we asked about the other forum) was "Word Reference".

Status
Not open for further replies.