Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Regarding to the ielts speaking exam, 2 of the criteria of scoring are:
•uses a wide range of pronunciation features :roll:
•sustains flexible use of features, with only occasional lapses :roll:

What does that mean exactly?! What should I do?

Please help!
Thank you.

I would say that the first refers to things like the various ways of pronouncing, for example, "-ough". Consider the words "through", "though", "bough" and "enough".

Oh Piscean!
I've never heard of these techniques! These are strange to me.
I wish you could record an example of each technique and send to me. A kind retired English teacher is required to demonstrate them! That would be a great help!

You sound somewhat like a native speaker- you use intonation and stress, but that doesn't mean you don't have any trace of a non-native accent- you talk in a realistic way, with some of the features Piscean mentions.

You sound somewhat like a native speaker- you use intonation and stress, but that doesn't mean you don't have any trace of a non-native accent- you talk in a realistic way, with some of the features Piscean mentions.

How would you say that when you haven't heard my talking!!! :shock:

How would you say that when you haven't heard my talking!!! :shock:

That is Tdol's explanation of "sustains flexible use of features, with only occasional lapses" from post #1.

Last edited:
That is Narkises' explanation of "sustains flexible use of features, with only occasional lapses" from post #1.

I didnt get what you said. Please rephrase it.

It appears that you thought that Tdol was talking about you in post #5 (note that originally I accidentally said it was "Narkises" - sorry for the error.) Tdol was not talking about your spoken English. He was explaining what the second criteria of scoring means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back