Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi,
Could you explain to me the use and meaning of as well and proper in these following sentences:
the capital of Tibet proper
I might as well go/might just as well have stayed home

thank you :-D

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
oh and with some examples if you don't mind

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Could you explain to me the use and meaning of as well and proper in these following sentences:
the capital of Tibet proper
I might as well go/might just as well have stayed home

thank you :-D
***NOT A TEACHER***

vredes, good afternoon.

(1) Tibet proper = the area on a map that says the area inside these boundaries is called Tibet. It does NOT refer to the nearby areas where many Tibetans also live.

(2) I might as well go. = It is better to go than not to go.

(3) I might just as well have stayed home. = I DID go. But there was no difference between the place where I went and my home. Both places were the same -- boring! I should have stayed home!!!

(4) I drove 50 miles to hear Professor Smith. I might just as well have read the textbook. Professor Smith said exactly what the texbook says. What a waste of gasoline!!!

(5) I might as well tell you the secret. I don't want to tell you, but if I don't, you will discover the secret from someone else anyway. So I'll tell you.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you TheParser. Kind of you. ;-)

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If you could do me a favor with this one:
The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. As well they might, since....
Is this in the same sense as number 2?
Thank you :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. As well they might, since....
***NOT A TEACHER***

Good morning.

Could you please give the whole quotation?

The words after "since" will help explain its meaning.

Hopefully, one of the great teachers at this website will answer you.

If not, I shall be honored to do my best after reading the whole quotation.

Thank you.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***NOT A TEACHER***

Good afternoon.

(1) I have been thinking about your sentence.

(2) Although I do not have the words that come after "since," let me try my best.

(3) might as well = idiom = there is no reason why I/you/he/she/it/we/they should not do something.

(4) The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. As well they might, since....

(5) I think that "As well they might" is just an inversion (words not in regular order) of "They might as well."

(6) Therefore: The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. They might as well preserve the decencies of debate, since ....

(7) In order to avoid saying "preserve the decencies of debate" twice, the writer used inversion.

(8) In other words: There is no reason why the law courts should not preserve the decencies of debate, since ....

Thank you.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
A bit too late, because I have not checked this forum lately, but here's the complete sentences just for you to confirm:
"The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. As well they might, since 'my learned friend and I' are cooperating very nicely all the way to the bank."
Thank you. :-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A bit too late, because I have not checked this forum lately, but here's the complete sentences just for you to confirm:
"The law courts at least preserve the decencies of debate. As well they might, since 'my learned friend and I' are cooperating very nicely all the way to the bank."
Thank you. :-D
***NOT A TEACHER***

Good morning.

(1) As I understand it (I may be wrong), I believe that the sentences do mean what I suggested.

(2) To put it in "plain" English: In the law courts both sides preserve the decencies of courteous debate or behavior. There is no reason why we should not preserve these decencies because "my learned friend and I" (assume that "learned friend" is the polite term for your opponent) are doing very well financially ("cooperating all the way to the bank"). In other words, of course both sides in the law courts are nice to each other. Why not? They both benefit financially (and probably socially) by "playing the game."

(3) Please excuse me if you do not agree with my interpretation. Perhaps a smarter person will answer this post.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.