Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just curious, what happens if nobody opens the door for the delivery person in your country?

It depends on the type of delivery. If it's being delivered by the standard mail service (Royal Mail), they'll ring the doorbell/knock on the door and wait for a response. If no one answers, they'll put the package through the letterbox if it fits. If it doesn't, they leave a card with details of how to arrange re-delivery, or where you can go to pick up the package (usually from the next day). If the package has to be signed for, they're not allowed to put it through the letterbox. The recipient has to arrange re-delivery or go and collect it.
Some companies also allow you to specify what the delivery person should do if no one answers the door. For example, with all my Amazon parcels, I include the instruction "If no answer, please leave in porch".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think that the ungrammatical Put in bin! has much to do with the fact that it's used as a slogan or a sign. I think the idea is that the monsters in the pictures are supposed to be saying this, and part of their character is that they speak broken English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They have been leaving my meds at the door. I don't see a delivery person unless I have to sign for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.