Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Normally you would always use 'the' before a superlative. However, in titles or captions you sometimes skip the 'the'.
Could one skip it in a T-shirt caption: READY FOR (THE) BEST YEAR EVER?

Welcome to the forum. :)
You could leave it out if space was an issue on the t-shirt.

Thanks for your response, @teechar! Space on the t-shirt is one thing, but wouldn't it just look and feel more caption-like that way? :) Thanks!

I wouldn't skip it in the original. It doesn't even make a natural-sounding caption. How about this?

BEST YEAR EVER!
READY?​

thanks! sounds good!
I thought about one more:
FIT FOR 2024
BEST YEAR EVER!​
would that work?

Is this about sports/fitness?

FIT FOR 2024
BEST YEAR EVER!

That doesn't ask a question like the OP or emsr2d2's suggestion does. You need a question mark after '2024'.

FIT FOR 2024
BEST YEAR EVER!​
It's true that it doesn't ask a question as the original does, but for that reason I think it's more upbeat.

Is this about sports/fitness?
No, it's about our business. Does it make any difference?
Anyhow, my only concern would be the lack of 'the'.
But since "best year ever" is no longer a part of a longer sentence, I think we can skip it, right? "Best year ever" as a stand alone part of the caption.

It's true that it doesn't ask a question as the original does, but for that reason I think it's more upbeat.
well, yes, it's a shorter version of:
We are fit for 2024.
It's goining to be the best year ever for us.​

I still maintain that what you wrote in post #1 can work, without "the".

I still maintain that what you wrote in post #1 can work, without "the".
My issue with omitting it is that, as the reader, I wouldn't know what had been omitted. It could be "the", "my", "our" or "your". They would carry different meanings and I'd want to know exactly what statement I was wearing on my T-shirt!

Back