Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]I think interior designer is already red ocean. So, itsn't easy to achieve my goal.

Do you sometimes say "red ocean" to mean "an area which is already full of so many competitors that you won't get any position in it" and "blue ocean" to mean the opposite?[/FONT]

Me neither. I'm having a hard time even figuring out what idiom you're trying to express.

Both red ocean and blue ocean are frequently used in Korea, which I thought are from English speakers.

I've never heard either.

Then, what do you think are good replacements for both?

I have no suggestions for that. However, "interior designer" should be "interior design" in your original sentence.

I think interior designer is already red ocean. So, it isn't easy to achieve my goal.
=>I think the interior design area is already one with fierce competition So, it isn't easy to achieve my goal.
=>
I think the career(job field) of interior design is already one with fierce competition,....
=> I think the career(job field) of interior design is already a preoccupied one....

These are my replacements. What do you think?

Neither red nor blue ocean has any meaning for me.

Neither red nor blue ocean has any meaning for me.

I wonder if they're terms used in naval war games. I wouldn't be surprised if American military terminology has slipped into Korean, given the visibility of American forces in Korea.

They're from a book. The author coined the terms. One has to have read the book in order to understand what you're saying. And yes, red ocean is what the author uses to describe the opposite of ​blue ocean.

Edit: Not a teacher.

Last edited:
I chose "an area(field) of bare opportunity" and "an area(field) of golden opportunity" for "red ocean" and "blue ocean" respectively. What do you think?

I'd go with saturated and untapped market.

You could say "crowded market space" or "uncrowded market space"
"Market space with limited opportunity" "Market space with a lot of opportunity."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back