Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are those interchangeable?

Many social enterprises at the same time report of significant drawbacks related to each of these two forms of financing. (Original)

Many social enterprises at the same time report of significant drawbacks relating to each of these two forms of financing.

Testing strategies relating to direct assessment of content knowledge still have their value in an inquiry-*driven classroom. Let’s pretend for a moment that we wanted to ignore content and only assess a student’s skill with investigations. The problem is that the skills and the content are interconnected. (Original)

Testing strategies related to direct assessment of content knowledge still have their value in an inquiry-*driven classroom. Let’s pretend for a moment that we wanted to ignore content and only assess a student’s skill with investigations. The problem is that the skills and the content are interconnected.

source1 source2

Last edited:

Cunning Fox

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, the two are interchangeable. I must admit I've always said: "related to".

With kind regards.

Not a native speaker nor an English speaker.

Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, the two are interchangeable.
No. That is not true.
For example:
Jim is related to the Nortons. [Here, "relating to" cannot substitute for "related to"]
Relating to patients is the hallmark of a good doctor. [Here, "related to" cannot substitute for "relating to"]

Cunning Fox

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Of course, in your examples they're not interchangeable. In post #3, I thought my reference to the original was clear. What I also said is that in similar situations I prefer using "related to" for no particular reason. So... we're on the same page. :)

Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jim is related to the Nortons. [Here, "relating to" cannot substitute for "related to"]

Great point. I knew there had to be a reason why I down-toned "interchangeable" to "generally interchangeable" when I answered this question of KJOU's at a different forum, where he goes by the name Dude. Hey, Dude, I recognize you.

Interestingly, in sentences like "Jim is related to the Nortons," "related" is not even a verb; it's an adjective. Notice that we can't say "Jim relates to the Nortons" or "The Nortons relate to Jim" with anything like the same meaning as "Jim is related to the Nortons."

But we can say "Strategy Set X relates to Assessment Type Y," "Assessment Type Y relates to Strategy Set X," "Strategy Set X and Assessment Type Y are related to each other." Similarly, using reduced relative clauses, we can speak of the strategy set related to the assessment type or of the strategy set relating to the assessment type.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I answered this question of KJOU's at a different forum, where he goes by the name Dude. Hey, Dude, I recognize you.
;-) Thanks Phaedrus.
Can you please give us the link to that thread?
We need to point out to members something about posting the same question to multiple forums.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
;-) Thanks Phaedrus.
Can you please give us the link to that thread?
We need to point out to members something about posting the same question to multiple forums.

Sure thing, Teechar. Here you go: https://thegrammarexchange.infopop.cc/topic/relate-to

I regret that the graphic presentation of the forum is so dark. I have no control over the website's platform, which is owned by Pearson. It used to be much nicer. Frankly, I find the platform to be a dungeon in comparison with Using English's platform. That's one of the reasons I like hanging out here in my spare online moments.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
KJOU/DUDE,
Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

KJOU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"different meaning" is "different usage." It helps. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
KJOU, please click 'Thank' or 'Like' in post #9 to acknowledge that you have read it and understand it.

KJOU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I do understand. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I do understand. Thanks.

Can you see the "Like" and "Thank" buttons? If so, please use those instead of writing a new post to say thank you or that you understand. If you can't see those buttons, please put a post in the Support Area so we can try to help you access them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
We're waiting, KJOU.

KJOU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, I will. Thanks.

I just want to find out what is exactly the difference and I thought there must be some differences, like "mutual inclusion relation."

But No one told me what or why.

I was just double-checking to make sure whether what I thought is right or not.

Last edited:

KJOU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Excuse me, but can I ask a question?

Isn't it permitted to post the same question to multiple forums?

If doing so can be trouble, I won't.

KJOU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are you David?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Excuse me, but can I ask a question?

Isn't it permitted to post the same question to multiple forums?

If doing so can be trouble, I won't.

We recommend posting a question on just one forum to begin with and then waiting for responses. If, after a couple of days, you have no responses or you are unsatisfied with the responses, feel free to post the same question on a second forum. However, when you do so, please provide a link to the question on the first forum so that we can see what answers other people gave.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you David?

I have no idea who this comment is addressed to. You should have quoted the post you were responding to. No, I'm not David, by the way.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I'm not David, by the way.
Phaedrus is known by that name elsewhere. He regrets bringing that question on, but David, too, dislikes answering questions that are being asked at other forums by the same person without any disclosure of the cross-posting on the part of the member. Nevertheless, since it happens all the time, David tends not to complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.