Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Here are both sentences.

1. This is the thing which I recommend you to do.
2. This is the thing which I recommend to you to do.

I wanted to know which sentence is correct/wrong in sense of grammar? And the reason?

Thanks in advance!

Although both are grammatical 1 is the only natural choice. I'd understand 2 but assume the person was not a native speaker.

Would "This is what I recommend you do" or even "This is what I recommend" work for you, Andy?

Last edited:
They work better for me than the originals.

Here are two sentences: (What is the source of those sentences?)

1. This is the thing which I recommend you to do.
2. This is the thing which I recommend to you to do.

I wanted to know Which sentence is correct/wrong in sense of grammar grammatical, and why?

Thanks in advance!
Andy, we prefer to be thanked after we answer your question.

Andy, we prefer to be thanked after we answer your question.
I'm reading a textbook teaching English grammar where the following question is given in exercise section.

This is ____ I recommend you to do.
(A) what (B) that (C) which (D) whatever.

Note: the answer is A.

In addition, author says one can replace what with the thing(s) which when it comes to compound relative pronoun.

So, I rephrase the sentence into: This is the thing which I recommend you to do.

However, this sentence is weird when I write it in this way: This is the thing I recommend which you to do.

In which it's S + V + O + O in grammar.

I think there is a missing "to" between recommend and you so I can write it in this way: This is the thing I recommend which to you to do.

In addition, author says one can replace what with the thing(s) which when it comes to compound relative pronoun.

So, I rephrase the sentence into: This is the thing which I recommend you to do.
Fine.
However, this sentence is weird when I write it in this way: This is the thing I recommend which you to do.
That's because you have put 'which' in the wrong place.

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
  • snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
Fine.

That's because you have put 'which' in the wrong place.
Oh! I didn't know that a relative pronoun, as an object, not necessarily have to follow a verb until now. Thank you!

Would "This is what I recommend you do" or even "This is what I recommend" work for you, Andy?

I agree those work better than the original, and I also understand the OP is trying to adapt a sentence out of a text. However, the most natural way for me to phrase it would be "Here's what I recommend (you do)."

That would be my preferred way of phasing it, although teechar's suggestions are a very close second. My version is probably a bit more informal, though. It also of course ignores the issue of a relative pronouns which is what the question is originally about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back