Interested in Language
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
In this following context,
1.what does the phrase 'relative value' mean?
2. How should I understand the underlined phrase?
3. How should I paraphrase the whole sentence in a simple way?

The context:
"...the psychologists already begin to realize the truth about the delusive nature of the ego-entity, the mere relative value of the ego-feeling, the great dependency of this tiny man on the inexhaustible and complex working factors of the whole world..."

Source: P.15, 'Fundamentals of Buddhism' by Nyanatiloka Mahåthera

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
1.what does the phrase 'relative value' mean?
2. How should I understand the underlined phrase?

The underlined phrase means, roughly, "just the value of the ego-feeling in relation to other connected things".

3. How should I paraphrase the whole sentence in a simple way?
It's worded simply enough but the concepts it deals with are complex. I'd say you need someone with expertise on this subject to explain it to you. I don't have that. Maybe someone else will help you.

Sakya kim

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
It's worded simply enough but the concepts it deals with are complex. I'd say you need someone with expertise on this subject to explain it to you. I don't have that. Maybe someone else will help you.
Yes, what I want to understand is the whole sentence's simple structure because there are three phrases begining with article 'the', and I'm not sure each one is related to preposition 'about' separately, or last two define first one, or first two are in connected one meaning and the last stands alone.
I don't believe sentence structure depends entirely on the meaning derived from itself, but they are interconnted.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.