Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody,

I realize that you migh have seen this question many times before but even though I have been learning English for a long time I still don't seem to able to get a grasp of using restrictive and non restrictive clauses correctly. I have got some examples below, I would like someone to have a look at and leave some comments. The more I read and think about it, the more difficult it becomes for me to understand :)

1. There is an item that was was sent to ACC a while ago, can we have it back?
(In my understanding: it's a restrictive clause and it wasn't necessarily the only item sent to ACC) - am I correct?

In this case I would opt for No.4 but I am not 100% sure:

3. We have an item, which needs to be sent to ACC tomorrow morning
4. We have an item that needs to be sent to ACC tomorrow morning

5. I am looking for a/th PO (Purchase order) for an item that was bought in July this year?
(In my understanding: I bought more than one item and I know I should use "a" before PO - I just don't understand why since there is a specific PO number?

6. I am looking for a/th PO (Purchase order) for the item that was bought in July this year?
(In my understanding: I should use "the" if I only bought one item, and the rest as above)

Thank you in advance
Best Regards
- Jerzy

1. There is an item that was was sent to ACC a while ago, can we have it back?
(In my understanding: it's a restrictive clause and it wasn't necessarily the only item sent to ACC) - am I correct?

It's a restrictive clause- it tells us which item. There may have been other items, but they weren't sent a while ago.

I am not a teacher.

In 3. delete the comma. 'Which' and 'that' are both possible.

In 5. I would say 'the PO' if I was looking for a specific one. If I want just any PO for any item than 'a' would be correct.

I looked for this one in the glossary. Hey!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back