[General] Sentence Structure. My colleague was having fever this morning ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

Please let me know if the sentence below is correctly written.

- My colleague was having fever this morning and when she started coughing rigorously, I got worried so I told her to go (go and?) consult doctor.

Re: Sentence Structure

Hi,

Please let me know if the sentence below is correctly written.

- My colleague had a fever this morning, and when she started coughing vigorously, I got worried, so I told her to see a doctor.
All these are correct:

- go and consult a doctor.
- go consult a doctor.
- consult a doctor.
- go and see a doctor.
- go see a doctor.
- see a doctor.

I like coughing hard. Coughing vigorously is better than rigorously, but it's still not very natural.

Likewise, it's a little more natural to say see a doctor. And don't forget the article: a doctor.

1) This would work better as two sentences. Can you see where to divide it?

2) "Rigorously" is the wrong word. You can change a single letter to get an appropriate one.

3) "Go and" is not incorrect in American English, but "go" is simpler and means the same thing.

DANAU, pPlease note that I have improved your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

1) This would work better as two sentences. Can you see where to divide it?

2) "Rigorously" is the wrong word. You can change a single letter to get an appropriate one.

3) "Go and" is not incorrect in American English, but "go" is simpler and means the same thing.

Actually I am trying to form a compound-complex sentence, which is why I formed this sentence
to include 2 independent clauses with 1 dependent clause.

All these are correct:

- go and consult a doctor.
- go consult a doctor.
- consult a doctor.
- go and see a doctor.
- go see a doctor.
- see a doctor.

I like coughing hard. Coughing vigorously is better than rigorously, but it's still not very natural.

Likewise, it's a little more natural to say see a doctor. And don't forget the article: a doctor.

I missed the time marker again. "Was having" is past continuous and since my sentence has a time marker "this morning", so it should be simple past "had".
I hope I have understood the correctly.

Actually I am trying to form a compound-complex sentence, which is why I formed this sentence
to include 2 independent clauses with 1 dependent clause.
The structure was correct.

Charlie already changed it to the correct word in the post before yours. :)

Charlie already changed it to the correct word in the post before yours. :)
It's almost as if I'm not the only member sitting at home tapping on a laptop. I wonder why? :-?

It's almost as if I'm not the only member sitting at home tapping on a laptop. I wonder why? :-?
Well, for God's sake, put down that laptop and go inject some Lysol into your lungs!

Agreed. I suggest coughing violently.

"Go and see a doctor" is actually Singaporean/Malaysian English. It is far more common than "go see a doctor" which a native would more likely say.

A native speaker of British English is far more likely to say 'Go and see ..." than "Go see ...".

GoesStation in post #3 seems to have a different opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

GS in post #3 made no comment on British English.

(cross-posted)

GS didn't mention BrE in post #3. He said that "Go see" is more likely in AmE.

Piscean is absolutely right. We wouldn't use "Go see a doctor" in BrE. We'd use either "Go and see a doctor" or more commonly (in my experience) "Go to the doctor".

(Cross-posted with Rover and Piscean)

Last edited:

Piscean is absolutely right. We wouldn't use "Go see a doctor" in BrE.

I feel I should correct this.

Piscean didn't say that. He said that Go see is less likely than Go and see, which I'm pretty sure is true. Both are used, in both British and American English, and I assume in Singaporean/Malaysian English too.

I wrote, emphasis added, "A native speaker of British English is far more likely to say 'Go and see ..." than "Go see ...".".

Yes, I think that's fair to say. (It depends how far, of course.)

I think there's a more even distribution, though, with come and see and come see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back