Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi.

Some people advised against breaking compound predicate with comma, yet there are others
who suggested using comma to introduce pause between the sequence of actions.

For the sentences below, are both acceptable or one is preferred over the other?

#1--She clapped her hands and after bowing once more to her father ran to find her mother.

#2--She clapped her hands, and after bowing once more to her father, ran to find her mother.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Comma for compound predicates:

I'd go for:

#2--She clapped her hands and, after bowing once more to her father, ran to find her mother.

Note how Piscean has moved the first comma.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For the sentences below, are both acceptable or [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] is one preferred over the other?
;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people [STRIKE]advised[/STRIKE] advise against breaking compound predicates with a comma, yet there are others who [STRIKE]suggested[/STRIKE] suggest using a comma to introduce a pause between the sequence of actions.

Note my corrections above. You need the present simple "advise and "suggest" because those people didn't just advise/suggest it once - they advise/suggest it all the time. You need to work on your use of articles. You missed out all three required indefinite articles.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi.

I feel it is more important to include the subject matter in the title because it facilities the search by members.
For example, if I were a user wanting to understand more about compound predicate, then a title that has "compound predicate"
will show up in my search, not so when the title only has "she clapped her hands".

Is there a reason on the need to alway include part of the word/phrase being discussed?
I have always wanted to ask about this, taking this opportunity to get it off my chest.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The simple reason is that lots of people might want to ask about "compound predicate". That would lead to our having multiple threads all with the same title, which is no help to anyone. We aim to have as little duplication in titles as possible. By using a string of words from your sentence, the chance of there being another thread with the same title is much lower.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Forums without this requirement usually get lots of threads with titles like 'Help', 'I'm stuck', 'grammar question', 'Can anybody help me?' 'Which is correct—1 or 2?', 'Is this sentence correct?' 'exam questions', which are helpful to nobody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.