She grabbed the rail to stop herself............(fall -from falling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeco4444

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
She grabbed the rail to stop herself..............................
a-to fall
b-falls
c-fall
d-from falling
I think the best answer is d. Is there any other suitable answer?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want me to do your homework for you you'll have to do a better job of it than that. For example, simply leave a blank where you want me to "guess" the missing word. Don't make it multiple choice.

Sometimes there is only one possibility. Other times there is more than one. It depends.

Simply ask yourself what makes sense and go with that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2
You quoted part of my post in that one, so I naturally thought it was meant for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@emsr2d2
You quoted part of my post in that one, so I naturally thought it was meant for me.
I quoted it in order to make a complete sentence. That's why I used an ellipsis at the end of the quote and another at the start of my comment.

zeco4444

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If you want me to do your homework for you you'll have to do a better job of it than that. For example, simply leave a blank where you want me to "guess" the missing word. Don't make it multiple choice.

Sometimes there is only one possibility. Other times there is more than one. It depends.

Simply ask yourself what makes sense and go with that.
Why did you write so?
I wrote the best answer as it should be.
But I think fall has a sense so I ask you.

zeco4444

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You seem all have the same doubt or fair HOMEWORK.
I have a simple question.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not view the question as "homework". The OP provided an answer and simply asked if there was another "suitable answer". The answer is NO. The correct answer, as stated by the OP, is "d".

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Why did you write so?
It doesn't. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't connect two verbs directly in English (e.g. "...stop fall..."). They usually follow either the to infinitive or the -ing pattern, except for a few misbehaving ones (I'm looking at you, modal verbs!). Stop, in your example, follows the -ing pattern, so "...stop from falling..." is the correct choice. All the other choices are incorrect.

Your post #9 has the same error, connecting two verbs directly. Seem follows the to infinitive pattern. "...seem to have..." is correct. "...seem have..." isn't correct.
You seem all have the same doubt or fair HOMEWORK. ❌

Please, be understanding. There are many people who come to this forum because they're lazy and don't want to do their homework themselves. Your original post looks suspiciously close to what a lazy student would write if they wanted to get their homework done for free.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did you write so?
Say: "Why did you say that?"

Because it looks like a homework question, that's why. For one thing, it's multiple choice. (As has already been pointed out, there is only one correct answer.)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please, be understanding. There are many people who come to this forum because they're lazy and don't want to do their homework themselves. Your original post looks suspiciously close to what a lazy student would write if they wanted to get their homework done for free.
I disagree. The original post doesn't even come close to what a lazy student would write. Zecco4444 provided context and selected what they think the best answer should be. A lazy student would simply ask for the answer. Our OP is seeking affirmation that there is no other "suitable answer". In my mind this is an example of a conscientious student who wants to remove any doubt about their selection.
Threatening to ban a member the day after they join UE seems a bit heavy-handed and unnecessary.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@zeco4444 You could use falls, but you would have to reword the sentence. For example: "They put nonslip mats on the floor to prevent falls."

Status
Not open for further replies.