Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
When some say:"Shoot my boot.", what's that means?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

punkt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In book series [Murderous maths].

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In book series [Murderous maths].

Please post the entire sentence or paragraph so that we have some context and the words around it.

punkt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
This phrase was said by someone who lost a game he was supposed to win.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This phrase was said by someone who lost a game he was supposed to win.

And that's it? That's all he said? Something like "I should have won that game. Shoot my boot"? That makes no sense.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe he 'shot his bolt' - for example a long-jumper who was expected to win a medal might try too hard in the qualifying round, get three no-jumps, and not even participate in the final round.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I suppose it is possible that the loss of the game was a result of poor play caused by an ill-fitting boot (a football boot, for example. The player was demanding that the offending boot face a firing squad.

Perhaps not.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Maybe this is "shoot!" as the quite common alternative to "sh*t!", as "dang!" is to "damn!", "cripes!" to "Christ!". So "shoot my boot!" is just an extended form of that exclamation/curse, in the spirit of "rock my socks!".

not a teacher

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe this is "shoot!" as the quite common alternative to "sh*t!", as "dang!" is to "damn!", "cripes!" to "Christ!". So "shoot my boot!" is just an extended form of that exclamation/curse, in the spirit of "rock my socks!".

not a teacher

I assume that these are rather confined to AmE as I've never heard of anything even similar to "Rock my socks!" either.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume that these are rather confined to AmE as I've never heard of anything even similar to "Rock my socks!" either.

This American finds the entire thread mystifying. Not a single one of these expressions means anything to me, including the bolt shooting one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought "shoot my bolt" was akin to "shoot my load" or "shoot my wad" - both vulgar and should not be used.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought load and wad were vulgar as well, and was shocked when my former mother-in-law used it, but she said she'd always understood it to mean "all your money." A wad of cash or load, as in "he's loaded" to mean rich. I still avoid it but it made me wonder if the vulgar one obtained a clean meaning or if the clean meaning became sexualized.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

not a teacher

Like Barb, I've never heard either of these. But there is s tradition of attenuating a cuss-word by adding a rhyning (or just assonant) nonsense word: I've heard both 'f*ck a duck' and 'sh*t a brick'. So it's not on the face of it unlikely that after saying 'shoot' the speaker might mention footwear. ;-)

I thought "shoot my bolt" was akin to "shoot my load" or "shoot my wad" - both vulgar and should not be used.
I didn't think it was vulgar - though possibly a bit archaic. I assume the bolt is ammunition for a cross-bow; and after you've shot it you're defenceless. The 'wad' one would have a similar military derivation, but referring to a more recent (though still archaic) technology - the muzzle-loading musket; that has acquired a particular application to ejaculatio praecox, but I didn't think 'shooting one's bolt' had the same implication.

b

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

not a teacher
24381572.jpg

I think JMurray's reasoning is probably closest to the intended meaning of the expression!

I've never used the expression "Shoot my boot"... but I also have never had a teacher who came close to rocking my socks!!!!! :cool:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I think JMurray's reasoning is probably closest to the intended meaning of the expression!

Thanks amigos4!
I make no claim to "rock my socks" having any great currency out there in the world but I know someone who says it and he may be the only one. I was starting to think that punkt's guy might be the only person ever to say "shoot my boot" so I'm glad you've dug up another example, and illustrated to boot!

not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Based on that picture, I believe now that it's simply a more colorful way to say "Oh my sainted aunt" or "Bless my stars and garters!" or even "Dear me!"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Based on that picture, I believe now that it's simply a more colorful way to say "Oh my sainted aunt" or "Bless my stars and garters!" or even "Dear me!"
Well, pickle my pimento. You could be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.