Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands, which produce hormones related to hai

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands, which produce hormones related to hair growth, to continually generate high levels of cortisol, they produce fewer hormones that promote hair growth, leading to hair loss.

I think this sentence is grammatically correct. Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's correct but that's a lot of commas for one sentence. I'd be inclined to put "which produce hormones related to hair growth" in brackets instead.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands(which produce hormones related to hair growth) to continually generate high levels of cortisol, they produce fewer hormones that promote hair growth, leading to hair loss.

Is it correct? Since it is the first time for me to use brackets, I'm not used to it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think that looks better. Just one correction - you need to put a space after "glands" before the opening bracket.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't like the brackets. If this is an academic paper, I'd suggest not using them. Dashes would be much better.

What is it exactly that you're writing?

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is an academic essay. Then it is better to write like this?

Since chronic stress causes the adrenal glands [FONT=나눔고딕]—[/FONT]which produce hormones related to hair growth[FONT=나눔고딕]—[/FONT] to continually generate high levels of cortisol, they produce fewer hormones that promote hair growth, leading to hair loss.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, much better. Don't use brackets in this kind of text.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll refrain from commenting on your future posts if they're for an academic paper (practice or otherwise) because that's not my area of expertise. It will be helpful if you put the purpose of your writing in post #1 of every thread from now on. Just a short note such as "I'm practising writing academic papers" will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.