Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The crazy little kid with the funny accent and the energy to burn was learning fast. Or as he later put it to me, ‘That’s one of the reasons Metallica
exists, because I’d sit there and learn from the Motörheads and Diamond Heads and Iron Maidens, because I was so far up their asses all the time –
as a punter
, absorbing and learning the vibe. That’s what made me realise I wanted to do this shit myself.’ Mick Wall "Enter night"
Could you please explain in other words what the bolded means? And, not sure what "punter" means here, either.

Who's he? James Hetfield? Always give us proper context.

He means he was a huge and adoring fan. He bought records and went to gigs, watching keenly how they performed.

Last edited:

He means he was a huge and adoring fan. He bought records and went to gigs, watching keenly how they performed.
He is Lars Ulrich.

Thanks. Punter can mean a fan?

Is that (punter) British English?

Is that (punter) British English?
Most references that I could find with a quick Google search refer to the word as British slang. It is a slightly derogatory term mostly used in betting, prostitution and entertainment to refer to a customer.

I probably wouldn't say it was derogatory, unless used in a particularly derogatory context. Market traders (and indeed many shop owners), and pub landlords refer to their customers as "punters".

I'd guess not if Lars Ulrich, an American, is using it.

It's definitely not American. Lars was born and raised in Denmark , moving to California at 18.

(A punter is a specialized kicker on an American football team. Different from the placekicker who kicks field goals.)

It's definitely not American. Lars was born and raised in Denmark , moving to California at 18.

So it could be that Lars was living in Britain at the time in question. That would explain how he came to be a big fan of the English metal scene, as well as why he uses the word 'punter'.

I probably wouldn't say it was derogatory, unless used in a particularly derogatory context. Market traders (and indeed many shop owners), and pub landlords refer to their customers as "punters".
I have done a lot of front of house work in the music industry. It isn't a term that I would have used in front of a customer.

The expression "slightly derogatory" actually came from one of the dictionaries returned in my Google search.

It isn't a term that I would have used in front of a customer.
I should have made it clear that the word is usually used behind the scenes.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back