Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sold-Out Couple

• The story of a listener on the Cultwo Show (Radio Gag Program)

This is the story of my experience when I came back to Korea during the summer vacation while studying in the U.S. and worked at a coffee shop as a part-timer. One day a young couple came in and I took an order.

In the coffee menu, there was a coffee that was sold out and said "sold-out" under its name. And the girl of the couple said, "Hey, I want to have some ‘Sold-Out’ coffee." (she mistook “sold-out” for a coffee name.)

As I didn’t want to put her to shame, so I politely said, "Well, Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."
Then he said to his girlfriend, "Oh, my God, that Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."
And what’s worse, she went on to say, "That's too bad. Let's have Sold-Out coffee next time at any cost." So I was very embarrassed.

===========================
Are the underlined correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sold-Out Couple

• The story of a listener on the Cultwo Show (Radio Gag Program)

This is the story of [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] an experience I had when I came back to Korea during [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] my summer vacation [STRIKE]while[/STRIKE] from studying in the U.S. and worked part-time at a coffee shop. [STRIKE]as a part-timer.[/STRIKE]

One day, a young couple came in and I took [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] their order.

[STRIKE]In[/STRIKE] On the coffee menu, there was a coffee that was sold out and it said "sold (no hyphen) out" under its name.

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] The girl [STRIKE]of the couple[/STRIKE] said, "Hey, I want to have some ‘Sold-Out’ coffee." (She mistook “sold-out” for a coffee name.)

As I didn’t want to [STRIKE]put her to shame[/STRIKE] embarrass her, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I politely said, "Well, Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."

Then she said to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her [STRIKE]girlfriend[/STRIKE] boyfriend, "Oh (no comma) my God, that Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."

And what’s worse, she went on to say, "That's too bad. Let's have Sold-Out coffee next time [STRIKE]at any cost[/STRIKE] no matter what."

[strike]So[/strike] I was very embarrassed.

Note my suggested changes above. I wouldn't end with "I was very embarrassed". She didn't know you were lying so there was no need to be embarrassed. You could say you felt bad.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Note my suggested changes above. I wouldn't end with "I was very embarrassed". She didn't know you were lying so there was no need to be embarrassed. You could say you felt bad.

As I didn’t want to
[STRIKE]put her to shame[/STRIKE] embarrass her, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I politely said, "Well, Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."

Then she said to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her [STRIKE]girlfriend[/STRIKE] boyfriend, "Oh (no comma) my God, that Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."

And what’s worse, she went on to say, "That's too bad. Let's have Sold-Out coffee next time [STRIKE]at any cost[/STRIKE] no matter what."

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I was very embarrassed.
========================================

The following is the corrected one.

And the girl of the couple said, "Honey, I want to have some ‘Sold-Out’ coffee." (she mistook “sold-out” for a coffee name.)
- She didn't order directly, she just asked her boyfriend to order.

As I didn’t want to embarrass her, I politely said, "Well, Sold-Out coffee is already sold out."

Then he said to her, "Oh my God, he says that Sold-Out coffee is already sold out." - This is what actually happened.

And what’s worse, she replied, "That's too bad. Let's have Sold-Out coffee next time no matter what." - I should have written "replied" instead of "went on to"

So I was very embarrassed. - I don't know why "embarrassed" doesn't work here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Keannu, is that a true story?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Keannu, is that a true story?
I only heard it from the radio show, and most of the stories are true from that show,
but I think that to raise the listening rate, the show production team may make fake ones.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"That sold out coffee is sold out" is, I think, very unlikely. (It seems like an attempt at humor.) I might say:

I'm sorry, but there isn't any more. Can I get you something else?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The reason I assumed it was the girl who said "Oh my god. That Sold Out coffee is already sold out" is because you started the sentence with "Then". It sounded like a continuation of her speaking (after she had tried to order the coffee). It certainly wasn't clear that she asked her boyfriend to order, or that you had simply overheard what she said. It makes it all a bit messy.

I would make it clearer with something like this:

I overheard the girl say to her boyfriend "Honey, I want some of that Sold Out coffee". When he came to the counter to order, I didn't want to embarrass her so I told him it was already sold out. He said to her "Oh my god, it's already sold out". She replied "Let's make sure we have one next time, no matter what!"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only reason somebody would order sold out coffee would be if they didn't know what "sold out" means. Thus explaining that the sold out coffee is, in fact, sold out wouldn't help matters. It would only lead to confusion (as in this case). That's why I would not say that. Instead, I would say: "I'm sorry, but we don't have any more. Can I get you something else?"

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.