"Some people think that museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people."

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
"Some people think that museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people."

hi,

Do these two sentences have the same meaning? Are both of them grammatically acceptable?

"Some people think that museums should be enjoyable places that entertain people."

Thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "Some people think that museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people."

The second works. The first is grammatically correct but doesn't mean the same thing; it says that some people believe staging a concert or a play at a museum ought to be pleasant.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Re: "Some people think that museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people."

The second works. The first is grammatically correct but doesn't mean the same thing; it says that some people believe staging a concert or a play at a museum ought to be pleasant.
Could you please explain more clearly? I didn't understand what you meant. I also didn't figure out what the differences are.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

The first doesn't work well. Grammatically, it looks like the noun is places to entertain people, which kind of means 'a place where entertaining people could be an option'. I think you want the second, using a non-defining relative clause.

...should be enjoyable places to entertain people.
...should be enjoyable places, which entertain people.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I think 'places to entertain people' could mean 'places for someone to entertain people'.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I don't think entertain is the right verb to use.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The very next sentence contains an egregious error. Can you spot it? Discuss both views and give you own opinion.

Given that the site's author highlighted these sentences in bold face at the top of the page, I suggest you look elsewhere for advice on English usage.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States

The very next sentence contains an egregious error.

Given that the site's author highlighted these sentences in bold face at the top of the page, .
Simon, ex-examiner who manage that website, didn't write those bold sentences.
Those sentences was the writing's topic of the IELTS Cambridge books.
Simon just wrote the question and then answer them themselves.

Can you spot it? Discuss both views and give you own opinion.
Does the 'opinion' has to be plural? I just guess.
I suggest you look elsewhere for advice on English usage
Thanks for your advice, but in my country we can't access to a good English teacher that can be trusted, and almost all of their books published are full of errors both grammatically and logically. As a result, we can't rely on them. I think Simon site is the best source for those whose country lack native English teacher, and none-native English teachers will make too many mistakes in their style of teaching. Furthermore, some classes are priced high and are too expensive. We can't afford them, so we have to use those websites as our references and our teachers. I always thanks people like Simon and also people here and in other forums who help us to achieve our dreams and be able to speak English correctly and fluency without paying any money. Your work is really valuable. we all really appreciate it.
Sometimes, some of our teachers , who hold PHD in English language, make grammatical mistakes, and if we don't ask our questions here we might repeat those mistakes in our IELTS exam, and then score very low. I often ask questions here and compare your answers with my teachers's and I find that they are totally wrong.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Simon, ex-examiner who manage that website, didn't write those bold sentences.
Those sentences was the writing's topic of the IELTS Cambridge books.
Simon just wrote the question and then answer them themselves.

Does the word 'opinion' have [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] to be plural?
No. A pronoun has to be changed to the possessive.

The author must have made an error when transcribing the question. I would expect an English-language test examiner to carefully proofread before putting material on line.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Does the 'opinion' has to be plural? I just guess.

It should be "discuss your own opinion".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am not familiar with IELTS but I found this website: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare/road-to-ielts
It looks like an official website for the test takers. Why don't you spend some time exploring the website? There are a few options for books, training materials, etc. If you really want to get a good grade on the exam, the best way to practice it is through their official website.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States

I am not familiar with IELTS but I found this website: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare/road-to-ielts
It looks like an official website for the test takers. Why don't you spend some time exploring the website? There are a few options for books, training materials, etc. If you really want to get a good grade on the exam, the best way to practice it is through their official website.
I really appreciate your help. However, that is the official website of IELTS. It used for those who want to be familiar with exam and with the instructions.
What I am looking for is somewhere to get some ideas to be able to improve my writing.
I need books or websites that help me to generate good ideas and vocabulary and then I will be able to write on my own.

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Perhaps our English teachers on here can provide you with specific books you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.