Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) Sorry, to hurt you.

2) Sorry, to have hurt you.

3) Sorry, to offend you.

4) Sorry, to have offended you.

Are all these correct? If so, what is the difference between the ones with "have" and the ones without "have"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, there should be no commas in any of them. In two and four the person is apologizing for something they have done. In one and three the person is apologizing for something they haven't done (yet).

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
First, there should be no commas in any of them. In two and four the person is apologizing for something they have done. In one and three the person is apologizing for something they haven't done (yet).

Sorry, I am confused now.

"Sorry to hurt you" or "sorry to offend you" or "sorry to misguide you". In all these sentences we are apologosing for something that we haven't done yet however, we are going to do it in the near future. If we use "have" so it means we have already done something wrong.

Here are the examples.

1) Sorry to offend you but you are too short for this postion. We are looking for someone taller.

2) Sorry to have offended you on the other day when I commented on your looks.

Is it going to be the same for "sorry to misguide you"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see any reason for confusion. You have it exactly right.

P.S. I would delete so after "have" in your post.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

We say "sorry to make you wait". Is it wrong as well. Do we need to say "sorry to have made you wait"? Do we need to say "sorry to make you wait" before we put someone on hold over the phone or make them wait for a while?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We say "sorry to make you wait". Is it wrong as well? Do we need to say "sorry to have made you wait"? Do we need to say "sorry to make you wait" before we put someone on hold over the phone or make them wait for a while?

It depends on whether we are speaking before or after the fact.

One, I didn't say anything was wrong. Two, if you want to apologize for putting somebody on hold that's up to you.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It depends on whether we are speaking before or after the fact.

One, I didn't say anything was wrong. Two, if you want to apologize for putting somebody on hold that's up to you.

If we are saying this before doing something it is correct to say "sorry to make you wait but it will take me a few minutes to get ready so you will have to wait a little bit more" or "sorry to offend you but I won't be able to come to the party. I will try to come next time". Am I correct?

If we have already done the deed we can say "sorry to have made you wait. It took me long to get ready however, I am ready now and we can leave " or "sorry to have offended you the other day by refusing your proposal. I apologise for that". Did I get it right?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If we are saying this before doing something it is correct to say "sorry to make you wait but it will take me a few minutes to get ready so you will have to wait a little bit more" or "sorry to offend you but I won't be able to come to the party. I will try to come next time". Am I correct?

If we have already done the deed we can say "sorry to have made you wait. It took me too long to get ready however, I am ready now and we can leave " or "sorry to have offended you the other day by refusing your proposal. I apologise for that". Did I get it right?

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.