Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Henry is my friend. He goes to a sports university in Beijing (the university is about swimming, football, jumping, etc). Today Sam asked me if I was still in touch with Henry and I said yes. I told Sam something about Henry. Here's one sentence "He is specializing in the hurdles and broad jumping and sidelining in the high jump". Is my sentence natural?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Henry is my friend. He goes to a sports university in Beijing (the university is about swimming, football, jumping, etc). Today Sam asked me if I was still in touch with Henry and I said yes. I told Sam something about Henry. Here's one sentence "He is specializing in the hurdles and broad jumping and sidelining in the high jump". Is my sentence natural?
For some reason, we don't usually put the before hurdles. In this context, we'd usually say broad jump rather than broad jumping, and sometimes we'll put the before it, as you did with the high jump. But you don't have to. They're both fine with or without the.

Broad jump can also be broadjump, but high jump is never highjump.

Isn't English interesting? As one Mexican student once asked me (throwing his pencil down on the desk), "Why is it the flu but a cold but pneumonia?"

I'll never know.

PS: I've never heard sidelining used that way, but I like it, and maybe it's fine. Let's see what others think.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is broad jump the same as the long jump?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a standing long jump, I believe—not a standard field or Olympic event.

2Q==

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is broad jump the same as the long jump?
And I was wondering whether the high jump and pole vaulting are the same. I looked it up. They're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.