Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Australia
Dear Teacher,

I would like to get your advice on how to improve my spelling and word pronunciation.

My English spelling is no good as I have always dependent on my computer to fix the spelling mistakes. However, I am in a situation where I should be able to write any words without depending on computer spell check. I have only 7 weeks to accomplish this objective. At the end of the 7th week I should be able to spell any word in English. I know that learning spelling rules is not effective because there are many exceptions in English spelling. Therefore, could you please suggest me the most proven way that I can put in my action plan and execute on a daily basis?

I am also lacking on word pronunciation. I am not able to pronounce all words in English because the language is not following one systematic process i.e PUT and BUS are not pronounced in the same way. Therefore, could you please suggest me the most proven way that I can put in my action plan and execute on a daily basis? I should be able to pronounce all words in English

Thanks
Samba

I'm sure someone will have some practical tips on how you can improve but I can assure you that you will not be able to spell and pronounce every English word correctly in seven weeks. You won't be able to do it in any length of time. No native speaker (as far as I'm aware) can do it.

I agree with ems. Many of us octogenarians make spelling mistakes, and many words are pronounced differently according to the dialect of the speaker.

Set yourself achievable targets, and get a spell-checker that puts a wiggly red line under pronouciation.

Therefore, could you please suggest me the most proven way that I can put in my action plan and execute on a daily basis?

This is simply not going to happen- you cannot suddenly learn all spellings and pronunciations in seven weeks. You have clearly studied English for some time, presumably years, to get to the level you are at, so you know the issues. There is no miracle cure for these things in English.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Samba:

I agree with those people who feel that one of the most effective ways to improve your spelling is to read.

I am 81 years old. When I was a child, I regularly read newspapers, magazines, and books.

Gradually, my eyes became accustomed to how a word should be spelled. For example, if I see "wierd," I instinctively realize that it should be "weird."

In some cases, however, you will simply have to use a dictionary. It is impossible to know how to correctly spell all of the words in the English language.

So just continue to read widely and regularly, and gradually you will see marked improvement in your spelling.

I think having frequent writing practice will help a lot. You can for example write a two/three paragraph-passage everyday; then, you can check you spelling and try to classify the most common mistakes, verbs, nouns, adjectives....etc; the next step will be to do intensive exercises to practice your such words.
As far as pronunciation difficulties and confusing words, listening and then reading practices will help you a lot.

I think [STRIKE]having[/STRIKE] frequent writing practice will help a lot. You can, for example, write a two/three-paragraph (no hyphen here) passage [STRIKE]everyday[/STRIKE] every day; then (no comma here) you can check your spelling and try to classify the most common mistakes, verbs, nouns, adjectives (no ellipsis here) etc; the next step will be to do intensive exercises to practice [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] such words.
As far as pronunciation difficulties and confusing words are concerned, listening and [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] reading [STRIKE]practices[/STRIKE] practice will help you a lot.

Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back