Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
For example,
aw8PDK0.jpg

----
I take it to mean "This is a paid publication" (= someone, in this case, the owner of the page, paid for this publication).

In other words, "This is a sponsored publication" (= someone, in this case, the owner of the page, sponsored for this publication). So, it is abbreviated to "sponsored".

Do my thoughts make sense?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it means it's a paid ad.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[...] So, it is abbreviated to "sponsored".
By the way, I think that "abbreviated" can be an adjective. So I used "it is abbreviated" to indicate its state in the present.

While it was abbreviated to ... would mean the "abbreviate" is an action, which happened in the past.

Is that right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't understand what you're asking. "Sponsored" isn't an abbreviation of anything. It's a complete word in its own right. I think you might have misunderstood the meaning of "abbreviate".

"Sponsored" is a shorter way of saying "This is a sponsored link", which means "Someone paid for this advertising".

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I take it to mean "This is a paid publication" (= someone, in this case, the owner of the page, paid for this publication).

In other words, "This is a sponsored publication" (= someone, in this case, the owner of the page, sponsored for this publication).
So, it is abbreviated to "sponsored".

Do my thoughts make sense?
Thank you, emsr2d2. I got it. I should have said "'So, 'sponsored' is a short way of saying that." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.