Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I was looking for English pronunciation videos on Youtube, and the search returned this one in the top results:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NVPg2kHv4
Does this count for a proper British accent today?

I mean, why does the lady pronounce the wide æ instead of the long back-tongue ɑː when she says ‘for exAmple’? And the way she voices long i: - it IS familiar to me: I noticed that some British speakers diphthong-ize the long front i: voicing it as ei: instead, which makes it pretty similar to the vowel that comes in words like ‘face‘, ‘place,’ ‘case’, but these are two different vowel sounds. The i: in the video sounds to me a bit more back and open from what the textbook says it should be. I am not sure, but is this the so called received British pronunciation? By the way, the lady's seems way too open and has something of a twang, hasn’t it?

And the word cough at 2:25 – isn’t that a totally wrong vowel symbol? Which may result from the fact that she pronounces ou too closed and back than it is supposed to be. It’s not kɒf - it is kʌf!

Or am I horribly mistaken and she is not British, at all? But she is… Isn’t she?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
She could be Australian. She's not pretending to be British, only to be a native English speaker.
But she does mispronounce the letter 'h' as 'haitch'.
If you want a British speaker on YouTube, make sure it has 'British' on it. Lots of people are excellent native English speakers, but not British, such as this woman.

PS: No, 'cough' is not kʌf.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexpen

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
She could be Australian. She's not pretending to be British, only to be a native English speaker.

She doesn't pretend, for sure. She sounds most natural, although her utterance is a bit exaggerated, which - again - is quite natural for a teacher of English.

But I am not sure what you are trying to say... does her accent sound more Australian than British to you?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes. In fact, to me, she doesn't have an 'accent'. Therefore, like me, I think she's Australian.

alexpen

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
PS: No, 'cough' is not kʌf.

What about the long /i:/? And the twanging /ei/ vowel?
Is there no accent in British English where you can come across the diphthong-ized /i:/? I was under the impression there was...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It might be best to wait for an opinion from a British person. I'm sure one will come along eventually.
Yes, those features you mention are consistent with Australian.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She certainly sounds Australian to me (BrE speaker).

Status
Not open for further replies.