[General] Stayed up all night VS wasn't able to sleep a wink ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I was just wondering, does the meaning of the sentence "I stayed up all night yesterday" close to the follow sentence "I wasn't able to sleep a wink yesterday" or both of them exactly indicate to be having same meaning?

Would these sentences very below sound natural?

1. I stayed up all night because of the noise.

2. I couldn't sleep a wink at all because I am supposed to be done this paper job by today in the afternoon.

3. I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past couple of days because I have been thinking about you. < puppy love>

I would appreciate if you could leave a comment on this or correct the sentence that sound weird or unnatural.

Thank you for the taking time.

Last edited:

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
I was just wondering, does the meaning of the sentence "I stayed up all night yesterday" come close to the following sentence "I wasn't able to sleep a wink yesterday." or do both of them have the same meaning?

Would the sentences below sound natural in conversation?

1. I stayed up all night because of the noise (of the something, perhaps). Fine.

2. I couldn't sleep a wink, because I am supposed to have this paper job done by this afternoon.

3. I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past couple of days (nights?) because I have been thinking about you. < puppy love>
Cute, but acceptable.;-)
I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment or correct any sentence that sounds weird or unnatural.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

You're welcome.
J Notateacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'1. I stayed up all night because of the noise (of the something, perhaps). Fine*'.

Really:) Well yes, perhaps - in the case where the noise is keeping you awake and you just give up trying to sleep.

But for me 'I stayed up all night' implies a choice: 'She stayed up all night and finished the essay just in time to submit it first thing on the Monday morning.'

In contrast 'I couldn't sleep a wink' means just that. There are similarities, but they're by no means the same.

b
* I've edited Notateacher's 'stealth' comment.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for correcting sentences and leaving comments with clear explanations!! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.