[General] Stayed up all night VS wasn't able to sleep a wink ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I was just wondering, does the meaning of the sentence "I stayed up all night yesterday" close to the follow sentence "I wasn't able to sleep a wink yesterday" or both of them exactly indicate to be having same meaning?

Would these sentences very below sound natural?

1. I stayed up all night because of the noise.

2. I couldn't sleep a wink at all because I am supposed to be done this paper job by today in the afternoon.

3. I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past couple of days because I have been thinking about you. < puppy love>

I would appreciate if you could leave a comment on this or correct the sentence that sound weird or unnatural.

Thank you for the taking time.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, does the meaning of the sentence "I stayed up all night yesterday" come close to the following sentence "I wasn't able to sleep a wink yesterday." or do both of them have the same meaning?

Would the sentences below sound natural in conversation?

1. I stayed up all night because of the noise (of the something, perhaps). Fine.

2. I couldn't sleep a wink, because I am supposed to have this paper job done by this afternoon.

3. I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past couple of days (nights?) because I have been thinking about you. < puppy love>
Cute, but acceptable.;-)
I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment or correct any sentence that sounds weird or unnatural.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

You're welcome.
J Notateacher.

'1. I stayed up all night because of the noise (of the something, perhaps). Fine*'.

Really:) Well yes, perhaps - in the case where the noise is keeping you awake and you just give up trying to sleep.

But for me 'I stayed up all night' implies a choice: 'She stayed up all night and finished the essay just in time to submit it first thing on the Monday morning.'

In contrast 'I couldn't sleep a wink' means just that. There are similarities, but they're by no means the same.

b
* I've edited Notateacher's 'stealth' comment.

Thank you for correcting sentences and leaving comments with clear explanations!! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back