Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, I'd like to pick your brains about the usage of stickle at, which seems to be a rarity in present-day English. By which I mean it would be hard to find a situation in which a writer would use stickle at when working on an article. At the same time, collinsdictionary.com suggests that stickle at has this meaning"to have objections; scruple (at)".

My question is would it be okay to use stickle at in this fashion, say, someone simply writes I still stickle at accepting the job offer?

Thanks in advance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'd like to pick your brains about the usage of stickle at, which seems to be a rarity in present-day English. By which I mean it would be hard to find a situation in which a writer would use stickle at when working on an article. At the same time, collinsdictionary.com suggests that stickle at has this meaning"to have objections; scruple (at)".

My question is would it be okay to use stickle at in this fashion, say, someone simply writes I still stickle at accepting the job offer?

[Deleted.]
Nobody will know what you mean.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it's in the dictionary, presumably someone at some time used it. Who knows if they were "worthies" or how long ago they might have lived! It doesn't really matter. We don't use it now and I'd discourage any learner from trying to use it. I'd never heard it until this thread.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I'm down with that" works fine.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The related noun stickler is still in common use but the verb stickle has faded sigificantly and its downward trend continues, according to Google Ngrams.

Thanks. I won't use stickle at as well. Sometimes I use jib at, boggle at, and quail at.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. I won't use stickle at as well. Sometimes I use jib at, boggle at, OR quail at.
Two things. One, that doesn't really make sense. (What do you mean by "as well" there?) Two, I would have to guess at the the meaning of any of them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The related noun stickler is still in common use but the verb stickle has faded sigificantly and its downward trend continues, according to Google Ngrams.

What about "stickle at"?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
English is a VERY rich language. There are so many terms that are almost never used in daily life. In general, I'd try to keep it as simple as possible. Even when writing academic papers.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Boggle and quail are not appropriate in your sentence. Jib is old-fashioned.
There you go. It would seem to me that most scribes living in America and Britain are not keen on using boggle and quail in their articles; only a writer at Fortune magazine once used quail at in an article featuring a floundering behemoth struggling to turn a profit.

Last edited:

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two things. One, that doesn't really make sense. (What do you mean by "as well" there?) Two, I would have to guess at the the meaning of any of them.
There is a case to be made that some literary types living in English-speaking nations used stickle at or stickle for in their novels back to the 18 or 19 century. D H Lawrence also used some gnomic words that you can't find in the pages of The New Yorker.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, it's 18th or 19th century. Two, since it was 100 or 200 years ago, you shouldn't be surprised that things have changed.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two things. One, it's 18th or 19th century. Two, since it was 100 or 200 years ago, you shouldn't be surprised that things have changed.
You are spot-on. Thanks for your insight.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'I'm down with that' is US slang. [click]. Most British English-speakers wouldn't understand it.
I agree with sentence 1 but not with sentence 2. Everyone I know would be familiar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.