Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I'm down with that' is US slang. [click]. Most British English-speakers wouldn't understand it.

I'd say that only a tiny minority would not understand this phrase. It's very common nowadays.

I should point out though that peterking has misused it, as it appears in post #3. It's normally used to show agreement or acceptance of a proposed idea or suggestion of some kind, not really an opinion or statement.

A: Shall we go to Nando's?
B: Yeah, I'm down with that.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
OK. Rover and I are part of a tiny minority.

So are most of the native speakers I know. :(

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's hope for you still. Get on TikTok asap.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thefreedictionary.com does have an entry for this word combination -> here.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'I'm down with that' is US slang. [click]. Most British English-speakers wouldn't understand it.

Not only that, but it's rather recent slang too. Fifty years ago it was unheard of in North America. And notwithstanding its recent origin it may already be fading out as slang is wont to do. I haven't seen or heard it lately

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm told that some characters from American sitcoms and flicks are keen on using such words. We also have scores of Chinese teachers asking their students to watch American movies on the grounds that you are talking like a native speaker when you use such cool words. That's why English training schools in China yearn to hire teachers from America in a bid to quench their insatiable need-namely, Chinese students- to talk like a fashionista from an American movie. On top of that, some Chinese teachers are not hesitant to tell their students that it's cool for them to have American accents.

In fairness, we also have lots of rabid fans of BBC dramas in China, in spite of the fact that it's well-nigh impossible for us to watch BBC in mainland China.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
in a bid to quench their insatiable need - namely, Chinese students -
Remember to put a space before and after the - sign when you want it to act as a dash rather than a hyphen. Ideally, use the em dash (rather than the en dash) if you can find it. In fairness, most users (including me) find it hard to create the em dash on their keyboard. That's why it's really important to put the space either side of an en dash.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Remember to put a space before and after the - sign when you want it to act as a dash rather than a hyphen. Ideally, use the em dash (rather than the en dash) if you can find it. In fairness, most users (including me) find it hard to create the em dash on their keyboard. That's why it's really important to put the space either side of an en dash.
Got it.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's hope for you still. Get on TikTok asap.
It sounds zany. You are not allowed to visit TikTok in China. We use a Chinese version called Douyin, a platform on which youngsters share grotty short video clips with each other. I don't even take the trouble to download Douyin; I simply log on to another Chinese video-sharing website when I feel like watching funny videos.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure if you meant that the idea of visiting TikTok generally sounds zany (that's a very 1970s word, by the way) or specifically about visiting it if you're in China. If it's the latter, it doesn't sound strange at all. We're well aware of the limitations on internet access in China.

Anyway, let's try to stick to the topic of the original question (if anyone has anything to add to that).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "grotty" is, I think, American slang. However, that was in the 70s or 80s. Most people nowadays are unfamiliar with it.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd venture to say that the word grotty is British English just like the word ropy, which can be used to describe something that's naff.

peterking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Speaking of British slang, I came upon a word pukka yesterday when reading an article written by a British journalist. The word has two meanings according to an online dictionary: genuine and superior. I was wondering if someone here could tell me whether it's acceptable to use this word to replace the word exceptional if we are talking about gee-whiz digital products. Would it be okay to write customers are agog to buy pukka digital products produced by Apple?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
we have wandered far and wide from 'stickle at', so I am closing this thread. Members are welcome to start fresh threads for new topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.