Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
“My life has involved much more chronic multitasking than I’d ever imagined,” she says.
(How multitasking fuels original thinking by David Robson)

What's the difference if I say "than I imagined"?

I don't understand what you're asking.

Are you wondering about what ever does? Or is this a question about the use of past perfect?

I don't understand what you're asking.

Are you wondering about what ever does? Or is this a question about the use of past perfect?
About the use of past perfect.

If you're only asking about the difference between the tenses, you should have made sure that the rest of the sentence was the same in both version. Version 1 would end "than I'd ever imagined" and version 2 would end "than I ever imagined".

The past perfect is required there - the imagining happened before the multitasking, which happened before the utterance of this sentence.

If you're only asking about the difference between the tenses, you should have made sure that the rest of the sentence was the same in both version. Version 1 would end "than I'd ever imagined" and version 2 would end "than I ever imagined".
I mistakenly thought that "ever" could only be used with past perfect or present perfect so I deleted "ever" when I used the past tense.

There wouldn't be any important difference if the speaker had use the past simple instead. The ever, however, is important for the intended meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back