Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
IMG_8331.jpeg
Does “that’s missing” refer to “the freedom”?

Yes.

Yes, "that's missing" or "that's the downside".

Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, @Rainy.

Please read this extract from the forum guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

I've done it for you this time.

Last edited:
Does the writer mean the previous generations want to get back the freedom they used to not have? I don’t understand "that's the downside". Or do I misunderstand something?

Last edited:
Forget about "that's the downside." That answer wasn't from a teacher.

In the good old days, kids would roam the neighborhood freely and parents didn't have a care in the world. Nowadays, parents worry about all the possible, but statistically unlikely, things that could happen to an unattended child (like kidnapping) so they tend to over-parent and never let the children have a moment without being supervised.

This attempts to give the parent some peace of mind (by being able to find a kid who is missing) while still allowing the kid to experience some freedom.

No, it means that children in previous generations had more freedom than they do now, and this is a way of getting some of it back.

[cross-posted]

The relevant phrase is: "some of the freedom previous generations had that's missing". If the question is what's missing, then what's the only possibility?

thank you for your corrections. I will do this in future.

@Rainy Perhaps:

Thank you for the corrections. They will help me improve.

Back