That person wasn't tall enough to raise that kid to the fan to get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his kid in his arms. He was raising that kid up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the kid up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise that kid to the fan to get hurt.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You really need to stop using the word "that" so often. Sometimes it's appropriate but most of the time when you use it, it should just be "the".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You really need to stop using the word "that" so often. Sometimes it's appropriate but most of the time when you use it, it should just be "the".

I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his kid in his arms. He was raising the kid up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the kid up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise the kid to the fan to get hurt.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I would agree and add the word "kid" to the list. I keep thinking of a young goat, not a child.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, consider the age and sex of the child. If the child has not yet reached the age of one, I'd call him/her a baby. At the beginning, I'd say that the uncle was carrying his niece/nephew in his arms.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Also, consider the age and sex of the child. If the child has not yet reached the age of one, I'd call him/her a baby. At the beginning, I'd say that the uncle was carrying his niece/nephew in his arms.

I was at my friend's house and his uncle was carrying his nephew in his arms. He was raising the child up and there was a fan above his head. His wife looked at the fan whenever he raised the child up. But I do not know why she was concerned because the fan was "quite high" or "at the height". That person wasn't tall enough to raise the child to the fan to get cut.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was my friend's house, his uncle was lifting his young nephew above his head. His wife was looking worried because she thought the child might hit the ceiling fan. She didn't need to worry, though - her husband isn't tall enough to lift the child that high.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When I was my friend's house, his uncle was lifting his young nephew above his head. His wife was looking worried because she thought the child might hit the ceiling fan. She didn't need to worry, though - her husband isn't tall enough to lift the child that high.

Can I say "He couldn't have lifted him to the fan" or "He couldn't have lifted him up to the fan"?

"The fan was at the height" is it correct to say this?

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can I say "He couldn't have lifted him to the fan" or "He couldn't have lifted him up to the fan"?

"The fan was at the height" is it correct to say this?

Emsr2d2 has just given you a great rewrite of what you have given us. Why are you ignoring her?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'The fan was at the height' means nothing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I say
"He couldn't have lifted him to the fan" :cross:
or
"He couldn't have lifted him up to the fan"? :tick:

However, "He couldn't have lifted him up that high" (when it has already been made clear that the fan is quite high up) is better.

Is it correct to say "The fan was at the height"? [STRIKE]is it correct to say this?[/STRIKE]
No, that makes no sense at all. What does "the height" mean? The height of what? The fan is at a specific height (for example, it might be eight feet from the floor).

Tufguy, see above.

(Lynxear, the longer you're here, the more you'll see that Tufguy always asks us to comment on/correct the sentences he originally wrote, even after we have given perfectly correct, natural rewrites.
There is some merit to this - rewriting doesn't always tell the OP whether the original sentences were incorrect or just unnatural.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Emsr2d2 has just given you a great rewrite of what you have given us. Why are you ignoring her?

No, you got it wrong. I am not ignoring her. I was just asking her about the other sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.