Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Let's say we go to a strip club (club for strip dance). And the dancer strips his clothes and dance. Is it natural to say "The dancer did a strip" or "The dancer did a strip dance"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

Let's say we go to a strip club (a club [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] where performers do a [STRIKE]strip dance[/STRIKE] striptease) (no full stop here) and the dancer strips off his clothes and dances. Is it natural to say "The dancer did a strip" or "The dancer did a strip dance"?

The verb "strip" suffices there. As long as the context has already been made clear, "He stripped" is fine.
The noun "striptease" is the word for a dance during which a performer gradually removes their clothing so "The dancer did a striptease" works.

(I didn't know strip clubs still existed but I'm glad to know that it's no longer assumed that a stripper is female.)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The verb "strip" suffices there. As long as the context has already been made clear, "He stripped" is fine.
The noun "striptease" is the word for a dance during which a performer gradually removes their clothing so "The dancer did a striptease" works.

(I didn't know strip clubs still existed but I'm glad to know that it's no longer assumed that a stripper is female.)

Thanks a lot for your corrections, ems. I have never been to such a club so I don't know either. I intentionally changed "She did... to "He did..." because I believe males are doing such things, for example, in some gay clubs here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for your corrections, ems. I have never been to such a club so I don't know either. I intentionally changed "She did... to "He did..." because I believe males are doing such things, for example, in some gay clubs here.

Having done a bit of Googling, I am now aware that there are plenty of strip clubs still. Yes, there are both male and female strippers. Male strippers don't just work in gay clubs, though. There are clubs where men strip for a female audience. I imagine they're popular with hen parties.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Men strip in straight clubs, too. The most famous act here is the Chippendales. Women love them.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Strip clubs are where women strip. I very much doubt there are any 'strip clubs' where men strip.

The term strip club is misleading because the women do not actually tend to do much stripping. They typically dance near-naked around poles, and provide lapdancing services for the (almost exclusively male) customers.

Male strip acts such as The Chippendales perform in theatres, cabaret clubs, etc. These are very different places, and are not generally referred to as strip clubs.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, so it calls itself a 'male strip club', but that's not how I would refer to it.

Anyway, those are very different places from the ones where women strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.