The entrance to the easternmost wall has been shifted to the north wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I know there may be numerous problems with this sentence, but I was wondering if it is correct to use "easternmost" for a wall of a house! Unfortunately I have no picture to attach. This was what a friend meant to use in a report.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And, can we possibly use any of choices such as
"east-facing wall"
"east wall"
"eastern wall"
"the wall to the east"
"the wall in the east (of the house)"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would probably use "east wall" if only because it is the shortest. However, "eastern wall" and "east-facing wall" are also possible.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would probably use "east wall" if only because it is the shortest. However, "eastern wall" and "east-facing wall" are also possible.
And, would "the north-facing wall" and "the wall facing north" be equally normal in usage?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I don't know about "normal" there. That is, in everyday life there's usually not a reason to use those terms. However, anybody would know what you meant.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you should deal with the most obvious problem with this sentence first: the fact that one cannot enter a wall!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think you should deal with the most obvious problem with this sentence first: the fact that one cannot enter a wall!
:LOL:🙈 Thanks! Can't we just use 'entrance' to refer to a large door leading to the building? That's what I meant by 'entrance', which seems to be a mistake now?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, you cannot have an entrance to a wall (which is what jutfrank was referring to). Yes, you can call a door an entrance if you wish.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you have multiple eastern walls, then 'easternmost' is possible.

I would probably say something like "The former entrance in the eastern wall has been moved to the north wall."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think what probably happened was that the entrance in the east wall was sealed up and a new entrance made in the north wall. It's rather difficult to move an entrance.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I realise the "like" is meant to be clicked to show how thankful we are, but sometimes it doesn't express it all! I really am thankful to all the teachers and members who patiently answer the questions.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We understand your feeling, but we ask people not to submit a separate post to express their gratitude. It will appear on the main page of posts, and people will click on it expecting to find a new question or response.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I realise the "like" is meant to be clicked to show how thankful we are, but sometimes it doesn't express it all! I really am thankful to all the teachers and members who patiently answer the questions.

Thank you.
Actually, the "Thanks" icon is the one to be used to show gratitude. If you hover over the "Like" button, you get six options. The first one is "Thanks". It looks like this: 🙏
I have used that icon on 5jj's last post so you can see what it looks like. It is sufficient. As 5jj said, we don't like coming to a thread expecting to see a new response (either a follow-up question or new information) only to find it's just a "Thank you". It's a waste of your time and ours.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about:
The entrance has been shifted from the east (easternmost if it is furthest to the east) wall to the north wall?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess you can say they "shifted" the entrance in the sense that the door to the old entrance is always locked, and you have to use the new entrance. (I've noticed that at a couple of places here in Charlotte.)

Status
Not open for further replies.