Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Do the parts marked by asterisks sound idiomatic and grammatical?

A lot of information about medicine is published in English, *which is often absent in a native language*. *This knowledge* helps expand *the horizons* and in some cases, it can help *save the health.* English helps me *look for* useful information *in my job/work* hobby and sport. I use *spoken English* in my *work/job.*

Should I use "in my work" or "job" and "the horizons" instead of "the horizon"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The whole thing is incohesive. Are those supposed to be individual sentences? If so, then start a new thread for each.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the first one you want to say that a lot of medical information is published in English and not other languages.

I would say I speak English at work.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The whole thing is incohesive. Are those supposed to be individual sentences? If so, then start a new thread for each.
No, it's one piece. It's about why it's important to speak English. Do the marked parts sound unnatural?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
But what has medical books being published in English got to do with saving the Earth?!
Not Earth but heath. :) Do they all sound wrong? :S

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Sorry, my mistake. I think I need more sleep! :p
I still think the whole thing is not very natural. It doesn't actually say much.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose that any medical information expands our horizons. (It can potentially be life-saving.)

Is this one on topic, @emsr2d2 ?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Sorry, my mistake. I think I need more sleep! :p
I still think the whole thing is not very natural. It doesn't actually say much.

A lot of information about medicine is published in English, *which is often absent in a native language*. *This knowledge* helps expand *the horizons* and in some cases, it can help *save the health.* English helps me *look for* useful information *in my job/work* hobby and sport. I use *spoken English* in my *work/job.*

Can I use : A lot of medical information which/that is often unavailable in one's native language is published in English. This knowledge expands the horizon and can save a patient. (Save the health was used to imply how important that information can be) English helps me *look for* useful information for my work, hobby and sport. I use English at work. As Tarheel suggested.

Still not sure if it should be "expand the horizon", "expand horizon" without the article or "the horizons." I used either "which is unavailable or"that is unavailable."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

A lot of information about medicine is published in English, and it's not translated into every other language.

@Rachel Adams You seem to be insisting on using "native language", but I'm not sure how to work that in there.

As far as saying you use English at work, I guess that's okay, but that wasn't my suggestion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lot of information about medicine is published in English, *which is often absent in a native language*.
This doesn't work at all. Use something like "... published in English, but unfortunately not in many other languages".
*This knowledge information* helps can help expand *the people's horizons* and, in some cases, it can even help *save the improve people's health.*
See my comment at the bottom of my post.
English helps me *look for* find useful information *in regarding/about sport, my job /work* and my hobbies. and sport.
I don't know how this fits with the rest. It's got nothing to do with information about medicine. I can't believe that you're suggesting that you need to be able to speak English to find information about sport and hobbies. It's available online in just about every language in the world.
I use *spoken English* in my *work/job.* at work.
That's the natural way of expressing it.
I'm still not sure if it should be "expand the horizon", "expand horizon" without the article or "expand the horizons." I used either "which is unavailable or "that is unavailable."
None of them work. We say "expand one's horizons" (or replace "one's" with another possessive).

I've noticed that there are a lot of double spaces in your text. Make sure you use just one space between words.

Last edited: