Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The Internet has contacted people all over the world, however, the negative impact on individuals is unbearable.

Is there difference between ",however," and
".However,"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The internet has contacted connected people all over the world. However, the negative impact on individuals is unbearable.

Is there a difference between using a comma followed by "however," and using a full stop followed by "However,"?
Yes. As you can see from my correction to that main sentence, using a comma there is wrong. Do you know about comma splices yet?
Note my other corrections.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why do you think that the negative impact on individuals is unbearable?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Why do you think that the negative impact on individuals is unbearable?

People and particularly ,young generation, waste a lot of time surfing the internet and browsing social media platforms.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Yes. As you can see from my correction to that main sentence, using a comma there is wrong. Do you know about comma splices yet?
Note my other corrections.

Thank you. May I ask when do I use a comma followed by however as in ",however,"? Most English textbooks mention the pattern a full stop followed by the linking words, then a comma like :

1. .However,

2. .While,

Thank you for correction.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people, and particularly no comma here the younger generation, waste a lot of time surfing the internet and browsing social media platforms.
Note my corrections above. Bear in mind that those people might not consider it a waste of time. It certainly doesn't mean they find it "unbearable".
Some parents do and so do I.
Remember to write in complete sentences.
May I ask When do I use a comma followed by "however" as in ",however,"? Most English textbooks mention the pattern a full stop followed by the linking words, then a comma like :

1. . However, ✅
2. . While, ❌

Thank you for corrections.
#1 is the correct way to start a sentence with "However". (There are instances in which the comma is not required but it's for a different meaning of "However" so you don't need to worry about that right now.)
#2 is wrong. I can't come up with a single instance in which we could start a sentence with "While" followed by a comma. Why don't you give us an example of a sentence in which you think it would work?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The internet hasn't contacted people. The internet is a tool.

I think you mean "connected people."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Missed that. Sorry.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Note my corrections above. Bear in mind that those people might not consider it a waste of time. It certainly doesn't mean they find it "unbearable".

Remember to write in complete sentences.

#1 is the correct way to start a sentence with "However". (There are instances in which the comma is not required but it's for a different meaning of "However" so you don't need to worry about that right now.)
#2 is wrong. I can't come up with a single instance in which we could start a sentence with "While" followed by a comma. Why don't you give us an example of a sentence in which you think it would work?
Thank you. 🙏

In the first example, I used semicolon and the last three are with commas before and after "however."

Are these sentences correct?

1. I cannot find my car keys; however, I will put off my hospital appointment.
2. The lecture was cancelled due to heavy rain. We ,however, are going to arrange a make up lecture later on.
3. My car rattles and breaks down. I have, however, to get it fixed since new cars are expensive.
4. I can't make a reservation at the fancy restaurant today. I will make one this week, however.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. 🙏

In the first example, I used semicolon and the last three are with commas before and after "however."

Are these sentences correct?

1. I cannot find my car keys; however, I will put off my hospital appointment. ✅
2. The lecture was cancelled due to heavy rain. We are, however, are going to arrange a make-up lecture later on. ✅ (though you had the space on the wrong side of the comma originally)
3. My car rattles and breaks down. I have, however, to get it fixed since new cars are expensive. ✅
4. I can't make a reservation at the fancy restaurant today. I will make one this week, however. ✅
The use of punctuation with "however" is correct in each case. Sentence 1 doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd expect "Consequently" or "As a result" not "however". Presumably not being able to find your keys is the reason you're having to postpone the appointment.
Sentence 3 has a similar problem. I'd say "I've got to get it repaired, even though it'll be expensive".

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
The use of punctuation with "however" is correct in each case. Sentence 1 doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd expect "Consequently" or "As a result" not "however". Presumably not being able to find your keys is the reason you're having to postpone the appointment.
Sentence 3 has a similar problem. I'd say "I've got to get it repaired, even though it'll be expensive".

Thank you so much. I am puzzled by sentence two.

2. The lecture was cancelled due to heavy rain. We are, however, are going to arrange a make-up lecture later on. Is it possible to write two be verbs?

Thank you for your contribution and I am sorry for taking up your time. 🙏

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Why would you want to repeat the auxiliary verb? You only need the first.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Why would you want to repeat the auxiliary verb? You only need the first.

In sentence two, teacher @emsr2d2 didn't omit it after correction. It might be a a typo. This is why I asked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I completely missed the fact that "are" was there twice! "We are, however, going to ..." is correct.