The internet has evolved into a new system for running the factory.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I read this sentence in my notebook. What does this sentence mean?

How can the internet changed into a new system to running the factory?

Without more context, could you please help me with the sentence?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Without more context, you might be lucky enough to find somebody willing to have a guess.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Without more context, you might be lucky enough to find somebody willing to have a guess.
Sorry, I wrote this sentence down in 2022 and I forgot where I read it. I'm sure it's not from the internet because usually I'll write the source next to my sentences if the sentences are from a source.

Could you please tell me what the sentence means?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like I said, somebody may be willing to have a guess.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it's beyond guessing. It sounds to me like a well-crafted example of utter nonsense.

What was the point of writing it in your notebook? Did you understand it at the time?

Reactions: 5jj

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I wrote this sentence down in 2022 and I forgot where I read it. I'm sure it's not from the internet because usually I'll write the source next to my sentences if the sentences are they're from a source website.
I suggest you go through that notebook and cross out all the sentences for which you didn't note the source. Failing that, just please don't ask us about them.
No source/no context = no answer.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I suggest you go through that notebook and cross out all the sentences for which you didn't note the source. Failing that, just please don't ask us about them.
No source/no context = no answer.
I see. Thanks for telling me this. I didn't do it on purpose. And it's impossible to cross out all the sentences because some of them were written by you and other teachers here. I didn't write the source next to them but I know they were written by you. I'm sorry for this one, though, but I must admit that I tried to figure out where it came from before posting the question.
I think it's beyond guessing. It sounds to me like a well-crafted example of utter nonsense.

What was the point of writing it in your notebook? Did you understand it at the time?
I was about to reply to these questions but later the thread was closed.

The answer to the first question: to try to learn a new English word or phrase in a sentence.
The answer to the second question: Well, I have to say "yes" because I thought I really understood what it meant when I first wrote it down. However, I've been going over notes in my notebooks and now I read them more carefully and try to understand the meanings of them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

and try to understand what they mean.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The internet is merely a tool. It's the software designed by people which helps run a business/factory, with the use of internet for communication and transfer of information.

understand the meanings of them their meanings.
The original is unnatural.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The internet is merely a tool. It's the software designed by people which helps run a business/factory, with the use of internet for communication and transfer of information.

The original is unnatural.
I already struck it out from my notebook. I actually asked two native speakers this before and after I posted this thread but it seems that they don't understand what this sentence means. I wouldn't ask this question here if the first native speaker explained to me clearly what it meant. I didn't want to keep bothering him because I asked already many questions. I wouldn't cross it out in my notebook if the second native speaker told me it made sense.

According to them and jutfrank, this is not a very good sentence for me to learn English. I found a new one with the word "evolve" on M-W.com. And it's from the Atlantic.com, it's a better and understandable sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Which word or phrase from this sentence were you trying to learn? Was it 'evolve'?
Yes, it was "evolve". I know what it means because of its noun "evolution". I actually didn't understand how the internet could evolve into a new system to run a factory because the ineternet wasn't a group of people. Anyway, I already struck it out from my notebook and replaced it with a new one. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the internet kind of is a group of people. It's just that we're a group of people only in the sense that we're all at the same place -- if you can call the internet a place. One other thing we have in common is we all have internet access. That, in a sense, separates us from those who don't.