Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you for help in finding the proper name for an outdoor roofed box provided with many connections for various media (gas. power, water),. A friend of mine suggested that I should google "a switchbox" . The moment I did so, I saw the head of a cow. I think to myself: what does a cow have to do with a switchbox. Computers never cease to give me a jaw-dropping expression on my face.

Could someone help me?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No idea. I get images of small enclosures containing electronic switching equipment.

What scale is the enclosure you're trying to name? If it's something a person can enter, American English would probably call it a shed of some kind.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There isn't such a centralised/combined utility board where I am from as the utility departments require that controls be separately installed. I think a suitable name for such an installation would be a utility board/box/compartment/room/control panel/station depending on the size and layout.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It is usually a sheltered, metal box with a roof, about 1,6 m tall. The device is 1,6 m tall.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is usually a sheltered, metal box with a roof, about 1,6 m tall. The device is 1,6 m tall.
There must be a name for such a structure, quite likely different in American and British English. I wouldn't be surprised if it has different names in different regions of the United States, either. A commercial construction contractor might know it but I'm afraid I'd just be guessing.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Something similar for electrical power supply is a box called feeder pillar located on the street which comes under the jurisdiction of the electrical authority.

https://www.electricalknowledge.com/electricians-tools/what-is-a-feeder-pillar

I think a combined installation for different utilities would have to accomodate conflicting requirements, for example, having electrical supply next to gas supply would pose a fire hazard, and electricity and water(wet) are not compatible.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BT in the UK use Interface Pillar, but this just be for their services. I would be surprised if they had water pipes and electricity in the same place.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The one I am talking about usually stands on the shore, close to a floating dry-dock. How about "an outdoor shelter junction box"? Many media are usually connected to such a box from the dry-dock.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The one I am talking about usually stands on the shore, close to a floating dry-dock. How about "an outdoor shelter junction box"? Many media are usually connected to such a box from the dry-dock.
In American usage a junction box is an enclosure where electrical wires are joined. I've never seen it used in with other utilities.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No such thing exists in the UK.

tedmc