Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I addresses there's an alleyway, or a street whose end is blocked with either a wall or a house...What's the name for such passes in BrE? I mean the term which is used by people or the one which is put before the name of the street or alley on the signs...MANY thanks in advance...

(Could "IMPASS" be used?)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
cul-de-sac?

zjennin

Member Type
Other
If it's in a residential area, I would call it a 'court'. That might just be AmE though.

-Not a teacher.-

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I addresses there's an alleyway, or a street whose end is blocked with either a wall or a house...What's the name for such passes in BrE? I mean the term which is used by people or the one which is put before the name of the street or alley on the signs...MANY thanks in advance...

In the UK, it's called a cul de sac. (The French is "impasse".) It's interesting that in the UK we use a French phrase for this type of road, yet the phrase "cul de sac" is not used in French. It literally means "bottom of the bag". My French friends were very surprised to learn the UK's use of the phrase!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

If it's really an alley (a narrow passage between buildings), and it really ends with a wall, rather than with another house, then "blind alley" is perhaps the term you want.

This term is also used metaphorically:
Definition of blind alley noun from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US there is actually a long list of criteria that must be considered before such a street as you described is officially marked either "Dead End" or "No Outlet" or "Not a Through Street." :) If you were describing such a street to someone, however, you'd usually call it a "dead end" or a "cul-de-sac".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In the UK, it's called a cul de sac. (The French is "impasse".) It's interesting that in the UK we use a French phrase for this type of road, yet the phrase "cul de sac" is not used in French. It literally means "bottom of the bag". My French friends were very surprised to learn the UK's use of the phrase!
If it's the official name of a street then : "Impasse du Château", for example, is correct in French, but when speaking in general it's "voie sans issue".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Thanks to all dear posters...So, could we have, for example, "Cul de sac George" on a sign?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks to all dear posters...So, could we have, for example, "Cul de sac George" on a sign?

Ah, no!!! It's not a type of "street name". It would say, for instance, "George Street/Road/Avenue etc" on the road sign, then there would be an information sign (just a picture) which tells you that the road is a cul de sac (or a dead end, or a "No Through Road")

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
...and how about he word "close" in BrE? In Cambridge Dictionary this definition is given...
UK a road, usually with private houses, which vehicles can only enter from one end
He lives at 83 Barker Close.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Ah, no!!! It's not a type of "street name". It would say, for instance, "George Street/Road/Avenue etc" on the road sign, then there would be an information sign (just a picture) which tells you that the road is a cul de sac (or a dead end, or a "No Through Road")

I'm sorry for asking such questions...and thanks for answering...I'm interested in BrE and was just wondering wot the British use in their daily speech while giving address............Ta!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And, what if we want to write an address with a cul de sac? :oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And, what if we want to write an address with a cul de sac? :oops:

You would never do this. The word never appears in a street address. It's simply an information sign for drivers so that they know that if they drive into the road, they won't be able to get out the other end!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You would never do this. The word never appears in a street address. It's simply an information sign for drivers so that they know that if they drive into the road, they won't be able to get out the other end!

I hope you're not annoyed with me! :-(

1. If we live in a dead end road/cul de sac, how should we put it in a letter address?

2. Is "close" used with the same meaning?

Many thanks again...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hope you're not annoyed with me! :-(

1. If we live in a dead end road/cul de sac, how should we put it in a letter address?

2. Is "close" used with the same meaning?

Many thanks again...

Why would we be annoyed with you?!! :-D

1) I don't know how to answer this question any other way. The fact that a road is a cul de sac/dead end has no relevance when writing a street address!!! Each road has its own name and that is the only information you would put in the address on a letter. For example:

George Street
High Road
Lavender Avenue
St Pauls Close
Olive Terrace

The only way to know if one of these roads is a cul de sac would be to actually visit the location and look for a sign. You do not need to know if a road is a cul de sac when you are addressing a letter!

Obviously, you would also need to include the rest of the information about the street address:

12 George Street
London
NW13 6BU

2) A "close" might be a cul de sac or it might not. There is no way to tell simply based on the fact that someone lives in, for example, "Oak Close" and it would not be important.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why would we be annoyed with you?!! :-D

1) I don't know how to answer this question any other way. The fact that a road is a cul de sac/dead end has no relevance when writing a street address!!! Each road has its own name and that is the only information you would put in the address on a letter. For example:

George Street
High Road
Lavender Avenue
St Pauls Close
Olive Terrace

The only way to know if one of these roads is a cul de sac would be to actually visit the location and look for a sign. You do not need to know if a road is a cul de sac when you are addressing a letter!

Obviously, you would also need to include the rest of the information about the street address:

12 George Street
London
NW13 6BU

2) A "close" might be a cul de sac or it might not. There is no way to tell simply based on the fact that someone lives in, for example, "Oak Close" and it would not be important.

Most kind dear...All the very best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.