Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "the outcome...would be akin to a coin toss" mean "the outcome...would be random/almost completely insignificant"?

====================
For example, the outcome of tests with a typical false-positive rate of 5% in places where the prevalence of COVID-19 is less than 5% would be akin to a coin toss; a lower prevalence would make positive tests less likely to be so. Even tests with over 99% specificity, such as some laboratory immunoassays, will not make immunity passports useful until we know whether — and for how long — the antibodies detected are neutralizing. And even then, societal and ethical implications would have to be determined.

-from Nature 13 May 2020
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41551-020-0567-0

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. A coin toss is random. Something akin to one is also random. That's what the author is trying to convey.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I did say "the outcome would be random." So it is a Yes rather than No.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did say "the outcome would be random." So it is a Yes rather than No.
You asked whether "akin to a coin toss" means "random/almost completely insignificant". It does mean "random". It doesn't mean "almost completely insignificant". I should have been a little clearer.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You asked whether "akin to a coin toss" means "random/almost completely insignificant". It does mean "random". It doesn't mean "almost completely insignificant". I should have been a little clearer.

Statistically speaking, random = almost completely insignificant

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think that's correct. If it's random, it's completely insignificant. If it's almost so, it's somewhat significant and therefore not random.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I don't agree. A coin toss might be random but the result might be hugely significant for the winner/loser.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't agree. A coin toss might be random but the result might be hugely significant for the winner/loser.

GoodTaste is right. He means 'statistically' insignificant. That basically means that the data is useless. The coin toss is just a metaphor.

And yes, GoesStation is also right in post #6—it doesn't mean 'almost', it means completely insignificant. This word akin doesn't carry the sense of 'almost'.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think that's correct. If it's random, it's completely insignificant. If it's almost so, it's somewhat significant and therefore not random.

Yes. random = completely insignificant. I used "almost" because then I thought of "akin to."

Status
Not open for further replies.