(The) Presentation of the awards will take place in early October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
A. "Presentation of the awards will take place in early October." (Vocabulary for TOEIC, Ivy)
B. "The presentation of the awards will take place in early October."

I know that sentence B is definitely correct. But how about sentence A?
Is it correct to say "presentation of the awards" without THE?
I know that if it's in a title, that'll be OK, like here. But here, it's not a title.

The original sentence is correct and natural.

The short answer is yes.

And the long answer is: it's OK and you would typically see/hear a statement of that type without the article if the "awards" had been mentioned in some way previously.

you would typically see/hear a statement of that type without the article if the "awards" had been mentioned in some way previously.

Really? I don't agree. Could you explain further?

Really? I don't agree. Could you explain further?

Unfortunately, because of the pandemic the MVP awards are postponed. Presentation of the awards etc.

As the previous post indicates, the article could be omitted before "presentation", but not before "awards".

Unfortunately, because of the pandemic the MVP awards are postponed. Presentation of the awards etc.

Prior mention of the awards allows the before awards, but it doesn't have a bearing on The before presentation.

Is that what you meant? It appears the OP is asking about the first article in the sentence.

I would use the definite article before "presentation" if there is only one presentation but omit it if there are more.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. One more time. Any combination of the following would not be unusual. Context helps.

The usual Spring post-season awards are postponed. Presentation (or "The presentation") of (or "of the") awards will be held in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back