Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,I am the university freshman and I major foreigne languages
Recently,we got a lot of homeworks from teachers,
And I made a lot of mistakes on my writing homeworks.
Grammar and writing are not my good at and I wonder how can I improve my grammar and writing skill?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Are you sure you want to major in foreign languages if you're not good at grammar or writing?
If you're going to forge ahead with it, you need to read a lot and write a lot, speak and listen. If your university is not teaching you grammar, you should buy a grammar book and work through it consistently.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
The first thing you need to do is learn from your mistakes. We all make mistakes when learning a foreign language; it's a natural part of language learning. It can be frustrating, but try to think of it as a learning opportunity. Find out why you are making the mistakes.

For example, in your post above, you wrote "homeworks". However, "homework" is an uncountable noun, so it is always singular. (When I type "homeworks" in Chrome or in Microsoft Word, I see a red underline (紅底線), showing that it's an error.)

The second thing you need to do is read a lot, especially things that are written well. Try to read books and articles that have been professionally edited. Reading well-written work helps you with your writing.

And the third thing you need to do is practice writing. But make sure someone checks it! And then return to Step 1: learn from your mistakes.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi, I am [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a (university) freshman, and I'm majoring in foreign languages.
Recently, we got a lot of homework (tasks) from our teachers, and I made a lot of mistakes [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in my writing homework.
Grammar and writing are not my strong points, [STRIKE]good at and[/STRIKE] so I wonder how I can improve my grammar and writing skills?
Hello BlueCarl4395, and welcome to the forum. :)
Nothing is impossible; with effort and persistent practice, you will certainly notice a real improvement after a while.
You're welcome to ask questions on the forum, but you can also read/search through the various threads here and learn how to avoid common mistakes. Does your degree only involve English or are you studying another foreign language?

BlueCarl4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are you sure you want to major in foreign languages if you're not good at grammar or writing?
If you're going to forge ahead with it, you need to read a lot and write a lot, speak and listen. If your university is not teaching you grammar, you should buy a grammar book and work through it consistently.

Thanks for replyng,I think the advice you gave is constructive and I will adopt it.

BlueCarl4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The first thing you need to do is learn from your mistakes. We all make mistakes when learning a foreign language; it's a natural part of language learning. It can be frustrating, but try to think of it as a learning opportunity. Find out why you are making the mistakes.

For example, in your post above, you wrote "homeworks". However, "homework" is an uncountable noun, so it is always singular. (When I type "homeworks" in Chrome or in Microsoft Word, I see a red underline (紅底線), showing that it's an error.)

The second thing you need to do is read a lot, especially things that are written well. Try to read books and articles that have been professionally edited. Reading well-written work helps you with your writing.

And the third thing you need to do is practice writing. But make sure someone checks it! And then return to Step 1: learn from your mistakes.

Wow thanks for revising my grammar,I don't even know I made a lot of mistakes.
What you gave to me is important and I will keep in my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.