[Grammar] The program is well conceived, composed of reader friendly explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the preface of a reading book, it writes:

--------------
Let's Enjoy Masterpieces!

All the beautiful fairy tales and masterpieces that you have encountered during your childhood remain as warm memories in your adulthood. This time, let's indulge in the world of masterpieces through English. You can enjoy the depth and beauty of original works, which you can't enjoy through Chinese translations. The stories are easy for you to understand because of your familiarity with them. When you enjoy reading, your ability to understand English will also rapidly improve.

This series of Let's Enjoy Masterpieces are a special reading comprehension booster program, devised to improve reading comprehension for beginners whose command of English is not satisfactory, or who are elementary, middle, and high school students. With this program, you can enjoy reading masterpieces in English with fun and efficiency.

This carefully planned program is composed of 5 levels, from the beginner level of 350 words to the intermediate and advanced levels of 1,000 words. With this program's level-by-level system, you are able to read famous texts in English and to savor the true pleasure of the world's language.

The program is well conceived, composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar, quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page. In addition, with our "Guide to Listening," not only is reading comprehension enhanced but also listening comprehension skills are highlighted.

In the audio recording of the book, texts are vividly read by professional American actors. The texts are rewritten, according to the levels of the readers by an expert editorial staff of native speakers, on the basis of standard American English with the ministry of education recommended vocabulary. Therefore, it will be of great help even for all the students that want to learn English.

Please indulge yourself in the fun of reading and listening to English through Let's Enjoy Masterpieces.
----------------------
Would you be so kind as to tell me what do you think of the sentence in red, and the words in blue? Is there any grammatically wrong?

I think it should be:

The program is well conceived, and composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar, and quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page.

What is your opinion? Thanks!

PS Do any other sentences sound unnatural?

PPS I also posted the same question on this, but all of your answers are unique to me. Hope we can discuss with each other. Thank you.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The quality of that writing sample does not speak well for the likely quality of the product. Your version of the highlighted sentence is not an improvement. Rather than making a few changes to try to salvage it, can you rewrite it completely? Consider breaking it up into shorter sentences or a bullet-point list.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would hyphenate reader-friendly.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think well-conceived needs a hyphen too.

What are the masterpieces besides the fairly tales?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The quality of that writing sample does not speak well for the likely quality of the product. Your version of the highlighted sentence is not an improvement. Rather than making a few changes to try to salvage it, can you rewrite it completely? Consider breaking it up into shorter sentences or a bullet-point list.

I have rewrited it as:

The program is well-conceived, which is composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar. It also has quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page. In addition, with our "Guide to Listening," not only is reading comprehension enhanced but also listening comprehension skills are highlighted.
-----
Is this a better version?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think well-conceived needs a hyphen too.

What are the masterpieces besides the fairly tales?

They are, for example, The old Man and the Sea, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, The Christmas carol etc.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Does 'composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions...' in the original sentence modify only 'The program' or whole 'The program is well conceived' ?[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks![/FONT]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have rewritten [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] it as:

The program is well-conceived, which is composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar. It also has quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page. In addition, with our "Guide to Listening," not only is reading comprehension enhanced but also listening comprehension skills are highlighted.
-----
Is this a better version?
"Well conceived" should not have a hyphen. Hyphenate this (and other compounds) when it's a compound adjective. In the original and in your revision, well is an adverb modifying conceived.

"Which" now refers to "well-conceived". That's not what the writer is trying to say.

Your revised second and third sentences are much better than the original. Congratulations for that.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Which" now refers to "well-conceived". That's not what the writer is trying to say.

"Which" is a relative pronoun. It can refer not only to a noun, but also to the whole of a previous clause; however, I wounder if it can refer to an adjective ("well-conceived") as you say.
----
the definitive version:

The program is well conceived, which is composed of reader-friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar. It also has quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page. In addition, with our "Guide to Listening," not only is reading comprehension enhanced but also listening comprehension skills are highlighted.
--------
If "Which" refers to "The program", I think it would be better in this style:

The program, which is composed of reader-friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar, is well conceived.

Thank you!

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Which" is a relative pronoun. It can refer not only to a noun, but also to the whole of a previous clause; however, I wounder if it can refer to an adjective ("well-conceived") as you say.
No, it can't. That's what I was trying to say. I didn't express it clearly.

the definitive version:

The program is well conceived, which is composed of reader-friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar.
No. "Which" refers to the phrase "well conceived". You want to refer to "the program". If you said "The program is well conceived, which may surprise skeptics," you'd be using which correctly (but saying something different!).

If you want to keep similar phrasing, write This well-conceived program consists of reader-friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar. "Consists of" is a more compact way to say "is composed of". Note that now well-conceived is a compound adjective and therefore requires a hyphen.

It also has quizzes to help the student learn vocabulary and understand the meaning of the texts, and fabulous illustrations that adorn every page. In addition, with our "Guide to Listening," not only is reading comprehension enhanced but also listening comprehension skills are highlighted.
This is OK.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks! Maybe the last question:

In the original sentence, how can I interpret 'The program is well conceived, composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar'?

Dose it mean this?
'The program is well conceived, (and is) composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar'.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The program is well conceived, (and is) composed of reader friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar.

I would cut out the self-praise(well-conceived) and say: The program consists of reader-friendly explanations of English expressions and grammar.

Maybe you can elaborate more on the contents of the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.