[General] The pronuncuation of the word breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clave2843

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Is there any logical explanation behind the change in pronunciation of compound words such as breakfast?

Why is it not correct to just join the pronunciations of the two original words? I mean, a reason beyond "because everyone says it that way"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to this site, "break" was originally pronounced "breck", not "brake" so actually "breckfast" does retain the pronunciation of the original words.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But surely, ems, you've only shown that 'break' retains the original pronunciation; unless you are asserting also that 'fast' was pronounced 'f'st'.

PS: In any case, there are other words in which the original pronunciation changes:
handkerchief /ˈhæŋkərtʃɪf/, for example, loses the 'd' from 'hand'.

clave2843

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Although the source could be more reputable, the explanation was just what I was looking for. I suppose that a similar explanation could be argued for other cases.

Thank you!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I mean, a reason beyond "because everyone says it that way"

Many of the rules of grammar and pronunciation are based on the principle of following what other people do. It may not sound very scientific or satisfactory, but following other speakers in a speech community is a basic principle.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
But surely, ems, you've only shown that 'break' retains the original pronunciation; unless you are asserting also that 'fast' was pronounced 'f'st'.
The vowel of "fast" is reduced to a schwa as a result of being in an unstressed syllable. Compare it with the "man" in "chairman".

Compound words do indeed often take on a life of their own. Consider "boatswain", which is pronounced "bosun".

Status
Not open for further replies.