Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

I have a book written by a non-native speaker of English and it says that it is wrong to use 'why' in the sentence:

''The reason why he gave us for the delay frustrated us all.''

The source: ENGLISH GRAMMAR INSIDE AND OUT by Nesibe Sevgi Öndeş (p. 432)

Is it wrong to you?

Thanks.

The book is correct. Simplify the sentence to understand it: The reason he gave frustrated us. There's no room for why.

Some would put "that" there instead of "why" but you don't need either one. Simply delete "why".

Last edited:
I love the word 'flusturated', as in your title.

Whether you meant it or not, it's a great combination of flustered and frustrated.

If you wish to use a relative there, it should be (either) "that" (or "which"). You need a relative pronoun.
:)

Last edited:
I think the relative adverb 'why' can be used in 'The reason why there was a delay frustrated us all'.

I think it is common to say 'the reason for the delay', but is 'the reason why there was a delay' grammatical?

Not a teacher

We don't need a relative adverb. After simplifying this sentence, we will get these two simple sentences and I think it is obvious that we need a relative pronoun to combine the two simple sentences to get one complex sentence:
"He gave a reason for the delay. It frustrated us all." ...after paraphrasing...> "The reason [which/that] he gave us frustrated us all."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is common to say 'the reason for the delay', but is 'the reason why there was a delay' grammatical?

Not a teacher

Yes, It's grammatical but in the post #7 it is not natural because "frustrated" should be "astonished/surprised".
That is a mere opinion but a logical one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, It's grammatical but in the post #7 it is not natural because "frustrated" should be "astonished/surprised".
That is a mere opinion but a logical one.

Frustrated is fine. Why is not.

You've forgotten to state that you're not a teacher.

My guess is that "the reason why..." sounds as wrong as "the way how..." to native speakers.
:)

My guess is that 'why' is optional instead of being wrong.

I have not heard of "the way how..."
I think it should be 'the way in which', in which 'in which' can be omitted, as 'why' can be omitted from 'the reason why'.

Frustrated is fine. Why is not.
You've forgotten to state that you're not a teacher.
I have written it in my signature because I am really fed up with telling me this over and over.
I am not a teacher, but I have a very rich grammatical background and always search for explanation, even if weird to me, for things that confuse me as a non-native learner.

I have written it in my signature because I am really fed up with telling me this over and over.

I put the statement in my signature as soon as I could because I couldn't remember to write it every time. Being corrected after forgetting the forum's rule embarrassed me.

You might want to review your signature line. It contains an error. :)

Please don't refer to other users as "dear". It is completely inappropriate. There is at least one error in your signature line.

Please don't refer to other users as "dear". It is completely inappropriate.
Why? I merely wanted to seem friendly. I am not using shameful or taboo words or expressions.
There is at least one error in your signature line.
I later spotted it and immediately corrected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back