cannonkuo

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
People facing such stress resort to techniques for defensive avoidance,” often by what Janis calls “bolstering.” Bolstering includes such things as exaggerating favorable consequences, downplaying unfavorable consequences, denying uneasy feelings, exaggerating the remoteness of the action commitment, downplaying the extent to which others will see what is happening, and downplaying personal responsibility. (Essence of Decision, pp.283-284)

Does the remoteness of the action commitment mean "unlikeliness of action promise" in the sentence?
Thank you very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please tell us the name of the author of the quoted text as well as its source.

cannonkuo

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please tell us the name of the author of the quoted text as well as its source.
Graham T. Allison, and Philip Zelikow, Essence of Decision, Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis, pp.283-284

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
An 'action commitment' is a first-step action that commits the agent to his decision.

I understand remoteness here to mean 'distance', in the sense of having a present consequential impact. The consequences of the action are felt as 'far away' (or further away) than they really are.

cannonkuo

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
An 'action commitment' is a first-step action that commits the agent to his decision.

I understand remoteness here to mean 'distance', in the sense of having a present consequential impact. The consequences of the action are felt as 'far away' (or further away) than they really are.
Thank you, jutfrank.
So, in other words, it's nearly unlikely to promise for action?

cannonkuo

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.
I mean: Can the phrase the remoteness of the action commitment also be interpreted as "nearly unlikely to give action commitment"?
Thank you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Remoteness is not unlikeliness in this case.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you distance yourself from the decision-making centre, you are distancing yourself from the responsibility for unpleasant actions- you have to do something because you are compelled to do something, rather than wanting to do something. I don't want to fire you, Cannonkuo, but I have to tell you that you have no future in this company.... (Only kidding- I am trying to distance myself from the decision. And you're welcome.)

Status
Not open for further replies.