Kolridg

Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you please tell if article "the" in the underlined phrase is used to point out to the "individual" that is said right in the phrase going before (highlighted with orange), or if it is used for another reason? I guess "the" here must be equal to "this" (I guess it points out to "individual" that was said already) because in my dictionary there are quite a lot of examples where it doesn't follow words "emphasis on".

Jiddu Krishnamurti. Discussions with scientists. Part 1 "Roots of psychological disorder"
3:32 - K: So, I'm asking, if I may...

"K: So, I'm asking, if I may, is not the self the beginning of all disorder? The self – I mean the egotistic attitude towards life, the sense of individual, emphasis on the individual, his salvation, his fulfilment, his happiness, and so on."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could you please tell if article "the" in the underlined phrase is used to point out to the "individual" that is said right in the phrase going before

I don't understand what you mean here.

Don't try to read too much into his words because he messes up slightly. Just focus on what he means.

You can notice that he makes a considered pause after "the sense of individual ..." This is because he was originally preparing to use the word individual as an adjective, but the following noun didn't come to mind so he abandoned it, and then he thought about the word 'individual', and how it's deeply related to his whole point of the self being undivided, and then added a parenthetical comment before continuing the sentence. You can read emphasis on the individual as a reference to 'the individual in society'.

Status
Not open for further replies.