[Grammar] "the" + supermarket/store name? and the embassy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tvu, I'm afraid you'll find that local usage rules in this matter. People use the article with some store names in some places and not with others.

In Ontario and southern California, people use the definite article with freeway numbers: the 401, the 10. In other places they don't.

I guess it depends on the name. I live near a Food Lion. Normally I don't use an article. I say, for example, I'm going to Food Lion. There's also an Aldi nearby. I might say, for example, I'm going to Aldi.
Interesting. Is this just a habit or does it have a general rule? Can you give me an example of a store/supermarket/restaurant near you where you say its name with "the"? Thanks.

Let's see. There's Wal-mart. There's Target. There's Dollar Tree. There's Family Dollar. There's Shomars. I don't put "the" in front of any of them. And I don't know anybody who does. (Originally from Missouri, I live in North Carolina.)

Let's see. There's Wal-mart. There's Target. There's Dollar Tree. There's Family Dollar. There's Shomars. I don't put "the" in front of any of them. And I don't know anybody who does. (Originally from Missouri, I live in North Carolina.)
Thanks. How about restaurants and cafes? I know if there's only a proper name usually it's without "the", right? But if the listener doesn't know that it's a restaurant, so you have to add the word "restaurant" after the proper name, how do you say it:

- I live near XYZ restaurant / I live near XYZ cafe.
or
- I live near the XYZ restaurant. / I live near the XYZ cafe.

Last edited:
Well, Shomars is a restaurant. Then there's Subway. There's Little Caesars. There's IHOP. Then there's The Sunrise Restaurant. (I think "The" is in the name in this case.) There's Harris Teeter (A grocery.) There's Bi-Lo. There's Pizza Hut. And let's not forget Papa John's.

That's enough. (I'm going to order a pizza now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back