[Grammar] "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattricia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I am reviewing a user manual for a production-controlling application.
I am not sure whether the usage of "of when" in this sentence is correct, and I have not found any grammatical rules that would help me to figure it out.
Could you please help me with it?
I'd like to know whether this sentence is correct or not and what are the grammar rules that apply to it.
Thanks a lot

take care
pat

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "The timestamp of when the log was created." - is this sentence correct?

Hello,

I am reviewing a user manual for a production-controlling application.
I am not sure whether the usage of "of when" in this sentence is correct, and I have not found any grammatical rules that would help me to figure it out.
Could you please help me with it?
I'd like to know whether this sentence is correct or not and what are the grammar rules that apply to it.
Thanks a lot

[strike]take care[/strike] Unnecessary, but if it were necessary it would have needed a capital letter and a full stop.
​Pat

Welcome to the forum.

If there is only one timestamp and it refers to the time of creation, then I would simply use "The timestamp on the log". If you need to specify, then "The log creation timestamp".

pattricia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Welcome to the forum.

If there is only one timestamp and it refers to the time of creation, then I would simply use "The timestamp on the log". If you need to specify, then "The log creation timestamp".

Thanks for your reply.
I know how to rephrase it. I just need to learn if in this form the sentence is correct or not and why :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks for your reply.
I know how to rephrase it. I just need to learn if in this form the sentence is correct or not and why :)
It depends what you mean by correct. It's pleonastic. Saying 'the timestamp * when the log was created' is like saying 'ATM machine'; it will inspire contempt in some listeners/readers - and that hampers communication needlessly. As Ems implied, rather gently ;-) (perhaps too gently in view of the arrogance of your response :-|), you should rephrase it (if only because her revised wording says as much in fewer words).

b

PS The 'of' is unnecessary

Last edited:

pattricia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Thank you for your reply.
I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way.
Like I wrote in my first post, what I was interested in was learning about the in/correctness of the "of which" usage rather than the entire sentence.
So, basically, your PS answered by question, at least partially.
And there are several timestamps that may be created for a single log, so this is hardly an "ATM machine" case :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way.
Like I wrote in my first post, what I was interested in was learning about the in/correctness of the "of which" usage rather than the entire sentence.
So, basically, your PS answered by question, at least partially.
And there are several timestamps that may be created for a single log, so this is hardly an "ATM machine" case :)

You asked about "of when", not "of which".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I did not mean to sound rude, so my apologies if my reply was received that way. :up:)

If there are several timestamps, at the beginning of the book (or chapter) it would be a good idea to give them names. For example,

The file has N timestamps:
  • The creation timestamp
  • The modified timestamp
  • The last-visited timestamp

Thereafter be consistent. (Say, don't call the last-visited timestamp 'the timestamp showing when the file was last visited'....)

b

Last edited:

pattricia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Correct, "of when" it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.