Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,

A car can be absolutely useful when you are in a hurry. (incorrect)
A car can be very useful when you are in a hurry. (correct)
We use absolutely before adjectives which already contain “very” as part of their meaning: “absolutely awful” (awful=very bad), “absolutely fascinating” (fascinating=very interesting).

Source: ABC of Common Grammatical Errors by Nigel D Turton.

In spite of these explanations, it’s very hard to recognize whether an adjective contains Very to have Absolutely or not. Look at these sentences taken from Longman Dictionary:
1. He made his reasons for resigning absolutely clear. (does the word Clear really contain Very?)
2. Are you absolutely sure? (does the word Sure really contain Very?)
3. This cake is absolutely delicious. (does the word Delicious really contain Very?)

Now you see what makes me confused? This makes me confused that: It’s very difficult to recognize if an adjective contains Very in itself to have Absolutely. Do you have any better idea about the usage of Absolutely?
(it’s very hard to me to recognize it)

Many thanks in advance.
I searched it on the forum but it didn’t help me.

Hello teachers,

A car can be absolutely useful when you are in a hurry. (incorrect)
A car can be very useful when you are in a hurry. (correct)
We use absolutely before adjectives which already contain “very” as part of their meaning: “absolutely awful” (awful=very bad), “absolutely fascinating” (fascinating=very interesting).

Source: ABC of Common Grammatical Errors by Nigel D Turton.

In spite of these explanations, it’s very hard to recognize whether an adjective contains Very to have Absolutely or not. Look at these sentences taken from Longman Dictionary:
1. He made his reasons for resigning absolutely clear. (does the word Clear really contain Very?)
2. Are you absolutely sure? (does the word Sure really contain Very?)
3. This cake is absolutely delicious. (does the word Delicious really contain Very?)

Now you see what makes me confused? This makes me confused that: It’s very difficult to recognize if an adjective contains Very in itself to have Absolutely. Do you have any better idea about the usage of Absolutely?
(it’s very hard to me to recognize it)

Many thanks in advance.
I searched it on the forum but it didn’t help me.

I don't agree with Nigel D Turton.

So, can we use Very instead of absolutely for Clear and Sure?

For example: Veru clear or Very sure.

Can we?

I don't agree with Nigel D Turton.
I don't agree, either, but I can't as yet think of a convincing way to explain when we can use 'absolutely'.

So, can we use Very instead of absolutely for Clear and Sure?

For example: Veru clear or Very sure.

Can we?

No we can't. I disagree with you. I searched it on Google now.
These are Non Gradable adjectives: alive, awful, black, boiling, certain, correct, dead, domestic, enormous, environmental, excellent, freezing, furious, gigantic, huge, immediately, impossible, miniscule, mortal, overjoyed, perfect, pregnant, principal, ridiculous, superb, terrible, terrified, unique, unknown, white, whole , delicious , terrifying , fantastic , freezing , amazing ,fascinated , impossible , chemical , married , wooden , pregnant , English , useless , green , unclear , digital , ancient , brilliant , deafening , disgusting , exhausted , fascinating , filthy , furious , gorgeous , starving , tiny , final , unique , supreme , sure

Isn't it really funny to say (Very sure)? For example: I am very sure about that. (sure it's incorrect)
Instead we can say: I am absolutely sure about that.

Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

I can't think of any better idea about the usage of absolutely but I'll try to define the words in your examples using very.

1. He made his reasons for resigning absolutely clear. (does the word Clear really contain Very?) ||| clear = very obvious
2. Are you absolutely sure? (does the word Sure really contain Very?) ||| sure = very confident
3. This cake is absolutely delicious. (does the word Delicious really contain Very?) ||| delicious = very tasty

Cheers;

No we can't. I disagree with you.
Fine. I'll just leave you with the thought that we native speakers can happily use 'very' alive, black, certain, dead, pregnant, white, wooden, English, green, unclear, tiny, sure, and probably some of the others in certain contexts.
Isn't it really funny to say (Very sure)? For example: I am very sure about that. (sure it's incorrect)
I am very sure it's possible - and there are 189 citations for 'very sure' in COCA, as well as 91 in the BNC

Jesus,
I don't know to follow grammar rules on websites or native speakers' style of conversation.
Anyway, thank you 5jj. Now I got more confused than before.

Those who believe may be offended by the use of that name as an expletive, so it's better not to use it.
I don't know whether to follow grammar rules on websites or native speakers' style of conversation.
You need to remember that there are some very good websites - and some very bad ones. You need also to remember that many native speakers do not use in their informal conversation the type of language that many examining bodies seem to expect of learners.
Anyway, thank you 5jj. Now I got more confused than before.
That is because in many aspects of grammar there are no absolutely (!) correct answers.

As a general rule it is true that we use 'absolutely' rather than 'very' with non-gradable adjectives. Unfortunately, there are no definitive lists of adjectives that are always and only non-gradable.

A great advantage of this site is that many of the moderators and experienced members are native speakers and/or teachers and/or very knowledgeable about English. We can make mistakes, but there is always somebody around to correct them. When we don't agree, it often means that there is no clear answer.

Last edited:
Sure = very confident = so there is no need to say Very Sure.

hi,

I did a comparison in BNC (link) that I hope will be of some help. It does contain collocation comparison between absolutely and very + adjective (not necessary non gradable)

Cheers

'Absolutely" is a word that means what the speaker intends it to mean. It can apparently even mean "Yes".
It does have a meaning though - entirely, without doubt. But it's changing. Maybe, one day it will mean "maybe" or "I believe so".
"Very" is comparative. "Absolutely" should be superlative, in the sense that if something is "absolutely black", there is no colour that can possibly be blacker. That's the primary meaning.

[h=2]ab·so·lute·ly[/h] [ab-suh-loot-lee, ab-suh-loot-] Show IPA
adverb1.without exception; completely; wholly; entirely: You are absolutely right.

2.positively; certainly.

Absolutely | Define Absolutely at Dictionary.com

hi,

I did a comparison in BNC (link) that I hope will be of some help. It does contain collocation comparison between absolutely and very + adjective (not necessary non gradable)

Cheers

Thanks for the link. It was useful.

As you have seen, native speakers use "absolutely" all over the place. In fact, we use it "absolutely anywhere" (almost).

With some adjectives, you're right - in front of the "normal" adjective, we don't use it, but in front of "higher-grade" versions of that adjective, we do.

I'm really tired. :tick:
I'm very tired. :tick:
I'm incredibly tired. :tick:
I'm absolutely tired. :cross:
I'm exhausted. :tick:
I'm very exhausted. :cross:
I'm really exhausted. :tick:
I'm absolutely exhausted. :tick:
I'm shattered. :tick:
I'm very shattered. :cross:
I'm really shattered. :tick:
I'm absolutely shattered. :tick:
I'm absolutely knackered. :tick:
I'm absolutely trashed. :tick: (Note, this is a very informal word for very tired and some people use it to mean "drunk".)

Bear in mind, too, that we don't just use it before an adjective:

- Mum, can I go out until 10pm tonight?
- Absolutely not!

I remmember once a British speaker told me (The food is very delicious) or (the food is more delicious) is correct.

But delicious is non gradable and should be used with Absolutely.
Do you agree with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back