Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "notice" and "attractive" in my sentences? Should I use "note" instead of "notice"?

"I would also like to notice that cities have other sides and one of them is a business side of a city. This city isn't an exception. It has a business side that gives workplaces to people and attractive workers from all over the world."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Notice' will not work at all.* While 'attractive' is grammatically correct, I don't think it's what you mean to say.

As written, you're stating that workplaces are only available to attractive workers. Ugly workers can't be hired? Use 'attract'.

Also, you might check a dictionary for the differences as verbs between 'note' and 'notice'. 'Attract' is a verb, while 'attractive' is an adjective.

*Edit: 'Notice' does actually work grammatically, it just doesn't work in the context you're trying to use it.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
'Notice' will not work at all.* While 'attractive' is grammatically correct, I don't think it's what you mean to say.

As written, you're stating that workplaces are only available to attractive workers. Ugly workers can't be hired? Use 'attract'.

Also, you might check a dictionary for the differences as verbs between 'note' and 'notice'. 'Attract' is a verb, while 'attractive' is an adjective.

*Edit: 'Notice' does actually work grammatically, it just doesn't work in the context you're trying to use it.

I will use "note". Yes, I don't mean that regarding "attractive workers". I mean workers who companies may be interested in because they are hard-working, responsible, etc. Is my use of "side" correct?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use "notice" and "attractive" in my sentences? Should I use "note" instead of "notice"?

"I would also like to [STRIKE]notice[/STRIKE] note that cities have other sides (or "features") and one of them is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the business side [STRIKE]of a city[/STRIKE]. This city isn't an exception. It has a business side that gives workplaces (or "opportunities") to people and [STRIKE]attractive[/STRIKE] attracts workers from all over the world."

My shot.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Rachel, you seem to have stopped using quotation marks in your thread titles, though you used them correctly in the first line of your post. :-?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cities have business areas, and they have areas that are primarily residential.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Could you please explain why it should be "the business side" but not "a business side"? "... one of them is a the business side of a city."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would also like to[STRIKE] notice[/STRIKE] note that cities have other sides (or "features") and one of them is[STRIKE] a[/STRIKE] the business side

How about: I would like to point out/highlight that cities have other sides and one of them is the business side?

There are many other sides to the city, but we are talking about (specifically) the business side.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please explain why it should be "the business side" but not "a business side"? "... one of them is a the business side of a city."

"a" could work. I just felt that "the" made it more specific among other "sides".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's central business district.

As for business side, well there's side business.

Status
Not open for further replies.