Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Do you use "pleased to meet you", "nice to meet you", and "glad to meet you" only at the beginning of the conversation?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think of it ("Pleased to meet you") as something to say in a rather formal setting. (Somebody has introduced you.) I would say that at the beginning, and at the end I would say something like "Nice meeting you."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I wouldn't say it's wrong, but as far as I know it's just not done.

Do you use these at the end of the conversation "I am glad/pleased to have met you."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not impossible to use "I'm glad to have met you" but it's more common to say "It was nice/good to meet you".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It's not impossible to use "I'm glad to have met you" but it's more common to say "It was nice/good to meet you".

That's clearly the end of the conversation. I am very grateful for each reply but as I am focused on BrE can I sum up and say "Pleased to meet you" is used at the beginning "always" or maybe it's better to say "usually". "Nice to meet you" is also "usually" maybe not "always" used at the beginning of the conversation just like "I am glad to meet you"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's clearly the end of the conversation. I am very grateful for each reply but as I am focused on BrE. Can I sum up and say "Pleased to meet you" is used at the beginning always, or maybe it's better to say usually. Is "Nice to meet you" also usually but not always used at the beginning of the conversation, just like "[STRIKE]I am[/STRIKE] Glad to meet you"?
1:

It's not impossible, but those are usually greetings. As Ems explained, at the end it's more natural to say something in the past tense, like "It was good to meet you" or "It was great meeting you."

It's the same in British and American English.

2:

These all mean the same thing and are used the same way:

- Pleased to meet you.
- Nice to meet you.
- Great to meet you.
- Glad to meet you.
- Good to meet you.

Also notice that when we use those, we don't say "I am."

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is "It was great meeting you" the only expression used with "ing"? Do you also say "It was nice/good meeting you"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those are OK.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Those are OK.

As I know, native speakers also say "It is a pleasure to meet you", "It is a pleasure meeting you", "It was a pleasure meeting you", "It was a pleasure to meet you", but do you say "Pleasure to meet you"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]As[/STRIKE] I know that native speakers also say "It is a pleasure to meet you", "It is a pleasure meeting you", "It was a pleasure meeting you", "It was a pleasure to meet you", but do you say "Pleasure to meet you"?

Learners often start with "As I know". It's not natural for native speakers. Start with "I [already] know that ...". It's perfectly possible to start with "As you know", in the right context.

"Pleasure to meet you" (sentence fragment) is possible but less likely than the full version.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Learners often start with "As I know". It's not natural for native speakers. Start with "I [already] know that ...". It's perfectly possible to start with "As you know", in the right context.

"Pleasure to meet you" (sentence fragment) is possible but less likely than the full version.

Is using "As far as I know" also unnatural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, in the right context, that's natural.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "It was great meeting you" the only expression used with "ing"? Do you also say "It was nice/good meeting you"?
You can use it with any of those words.

The point is that if you met someone, you're not meeting someone. So say it was good to meet them in the past tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.